587,047 active members*
2,695 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question after replacing transistors boss 5

I just replaced the final transistors on the x axis on my boss 5 machine. Now the x axis is not repeating and it will not cut a circle right. What have I done. This machine always was right on the money before replacing the transistors. I replaced them with 2n6547 from Motorola does anyone have any ideas to what is wrong. Please emplain thank you.

The transistors are only a part of the axis drive system.
    Did you set the static current?
    Do you have the snap in or screw in fuse holders?
    With the current set, what is the voltage at the fuse with respect to ground?
    You may have a faulty bridge rectifier.
    When you step the axis, does it step cleanly in the same direction?

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Aren't those tiny little glass diodes that are across two legs of each transistor important somehow? Seems to me when I had a cold soldered joint on one the machine did some strange tricks. Speaking of cold solder joints, could that be the problem on one of the transistors, as well?

Those diodes are to help prevent transistor blowing.
    A cold solder joint is NOT a good electrical connection and can cause grief.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)