586,299 active members*
3,895 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Backup FAPT Tooling & Material Files

Backup FAPT Tooling & Material Files

Does anyone know anything about the Fanuc 3T-F control (or similar)? I have a Mori Seiki SL3 Lathe that I need a little guidance with.

The 3T-F control has two sides (NC & FAPT). From what I understand the FAPT side includes the system parameters, machine tool files (MTF), family programs, material files, and tooling files. This data is stored in sub memory (separate from the normal NC memory). This sub memory (C-MOS) retains its information even while the unit is off (unlike the normal NC memory that needs a backup battery). Other than equipment (memory) failure, the only way to lose/modify the information located in sub memory is if an operator manually does it.

With that said, I did have an operator "press the wrong button" and delete the tooling file ("T") from the FAPT side. This is not the first time that an operator has done this (happened a few years back I guess). But the good thing is that I have a hand written log of the tooling data (at least the majority of it). But it's a PAIN to create the new tooling file ("T") and input all our tooling data manually.

I am wondering if it is possible to backup the FAPT side of this control like I do the NC side? Can we backup the tooling file ("T") and the material file ("M") in case this happens again? Is this possible?

From reading the "Mori Fanuc 3TF" manual (IM-000302), I understand that this control has an option to use external memory (memory cassette) instead of using sub memory. Can I use both? Using sub memory to store the data (like I do now) and a memory cassette to backup the data periodically. Is this possible and does it make sense? Would the backup file on cassette do us any good? Would I then be able to use it to restore the tooling and material files when needed? I am not familiar with these cassettes or FAPT. To me it sounds like we would be going back in time (trying to use cassettes).

I could not find anything regarding backing up the FAPT side using RS232 and a laptop. Is this possible too? And again, would the backup file do me any good? Would we be able to use it to restore the data if needed? Or could I read the file on a PC and make any sense of it? I am using a laptop and software to backup the NC side with no issues. I just don't know if it is possible to back the FAPT side?

Anyone have any suggestions or had to backup FAPT before?

Should I get a cassette and an adapter? Should I try to backup FAPT using RS232 and a laptop? Or should the operators just keep all the tooling and material data in a hand written log like they do now?

Thanks for the help !!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

I worked a 3T with FAPT over 25 years ago. I still have the manuals and FAPT books :-)
    I used FAPT on 3T/10T/15T/15TT/16T for at least 20 years so you've come to the right place :-)

There is a way to back them up through RS232 but I could never get it working. It might have been only available from 10T onwards. Even so it involves several MTF parameter and System Parameter changes.

The data in there is not too difficult to re-create. And for MTF/System parameters just copy them out by hand onto paper. 10 minutes and you're done.

You can protect the T and M files.
    when saving go to Material File Output or Tool File Output
    type...
    1,P,@ T
    or
    1,P,@ M
    if you try to delete it won't allow and asks for password.

Quote Originally Posted by fordav11 View Post
    I worked a 3T with FAPT over 25 years ago. I still have the manuals and FAPT books :-)
    I used FAPT on 3T/10T/15T/15TT/16T for at least 20 years so you've come to the right place :-)

There is a way to back them up through RS232 but I could never get it working. It might have been only available from 10T onwards. Even so it involves several MTF parameter and System Parameter changes.

The data in there is not too difficult to re-create. And for MTF/System parameters just copy them out by hand onto paper. 10 minutes and you're done.

You can protect the T and M files.
    when saving go to Material File Output or Tool File Output
    type...
    1,P,@ T
    or
    1,P,@ M
    if you try to delete it won't allow and asks for password.

What manual/page can I find this procedure in? I dont see anything about password protecting the Tooling & Material files ? I have the Mori Fanuc 3TF (IM-000302-E) Instruction Manual that I have been using. I also have the Fanuc 3T-F Maintenance (54205E) and Operators (54204E) Manuals.

Normally to save the tooling file we go to Output and then 1,R,@T. Should I go try 1,P,@T ? When/Where do i create the password ?

Would this password protection make it so they cant edit the files too?

Im just trying to find a little more information on this password protection.

Thanks!

its secret ;-)
    it may only be available from 10T onwards.
    Just try it. If you get a message saying the command is not valid then you don't have it.
    if you do have it and it works PM me for the password details.

R means 'replace'
    that means if you save to the file it'll overwrite it. otherwise you get an error saying file exists.
    try it with a new name that doesn't exist.
    1,P,@filename
    or
    1,P,R,@T

There is another way too. Does your FAPT load from a cassette tape?

Re: Backup FAPT Tooling & Material Files

i need the factory data files for the 3tf does anyone have the factory parameter list for this lathe with the ne11 -600 3tf control