586,500 active members*
2,747 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

VM-2 Remote jog broken

We came back on Monday and found the remote jog on the floor. The bracket failed (very weak and brittle plastic). Knob was busted off and magnifier cracked. Out of warranty so we took it apart and glued the plastic knob shaft back together. Worked for a short time but now it's failed again. Won't select axis anymore.
    Never liked this style. Much prefer the old style. Plus our remote jog on our VF-2SS is older and still going.
    Can the remote jog be repaired (who would do it)?
    Can I replace it with an older style remote?
    Thanks
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by extanker59 View Post
    We came back on Monday and found the pendant on the floor. The bracket failed (very weak and brittle plastic). Knob was busted off and magnifier cracked. Out of warranty so we took it apart and glued the plastic knob shaft back together. Worked for a short time but now it's failed again. Won't select axis anymore.
    Never liked this style. Much prefer the old style. Plus our pendant on our VF-2SS is older and still going.
    Can the pendant be repaired (who would do it)?
    Can I replace it with an older style pendant?
    Thanks
    Chris
    Are you referring to the remote jog handle?

Yes. Sorry. Got my terminology wrong.

Yes, the older remote jog handle can be connected to the newer machines. The new style is mounted at a fixed location with a leader cable to the PCB and the old sytle mounts directly to the pendant with a shorter lead, so you might have to get a little creative with mounting and/or running the cable.

See attached documents.

The picture shows the current Jog handle connection and also J2 where the the old style RJH connector will go to the SKBIF PCB.

Please do confirm this with Haas Oxnard before ordering any parts though. In the word document it states that J3 is RJH feedback to the mocon, but I believe this will only be used on older machines since the SKBIF PCB is backwards compatable for older machines.

The Word doc will confirm the use of the plug locations.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SKIF PCB-1A.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Haastec.
    That's my second to last option.

First hope was repair of the remote jog handle. Any ideas about repair or am I just crazy?

Second hope was replacing the newer remote jog handle with the older one. Seems more robust and hopefully less expensive?

Third was just bite the bullet and buy a new one. Easier replacement. Just plug it in.

Quote Originally Posted by extanker59 View Post
    Thanks Haastec.
    That's my second to last option.

First hope was repair of the remote jog handle. Any ideas about repair or am I just crazy?

Second hope was replacing the newer remote jog handle with the older one. Seems more robust and hopefully less expensive?

Third was just bite the bullet and buy a new one. Easier replacement. Just plug it in.
    I am not really sure about what is available for repair parts so I am not much help with that. For the old style, the only thing available to replace was the actual jog wheel. Other than that, it was just a full replacement.

Might be worth a call to your parts guy thought.

Good luck!

Thanks. You're right. Have to call to get facts before I can recommend course of action.
    Thanks for your help.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    Yes, the older remote jog handle can be connected to the newer machines.

Hope this helps.
    I am going to look into this..as I hate the new handle. I had the old style memorized but this new one, I just never use it.
    Gary

I have a brand new never used remote jog assemble that came with a 2009 Haas GT-10 lathe. If you can use it I'll be glad to sell it to you. I can send you a picture if you like.

Vern

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Smith View Post
    I have a brand new never used remote jog assemble that came with a 2009 Haas GT-10 lathe. If you can use it I'll be glad to sell it to you. I can send you a picture if you like.

Vern
    Will it work on a mill? 3 axis instead of 2

I don't know if it is the same unit as used on the mills, I would think the Haastec would have the answer to that.

Vern

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Smith View Post
    I don't know if it is the same unit as used on the mills, I would think the Haastec would have the answer to that.

Vern
    No difference, they all have axis selector for X,Y,Z,A,B.

It's all part of their business model of maximizing interchangeable parts among product lines.

extanker59 Guest
    Thanks guys. OK Vern, PM me with a price and I'll pass it up the line.

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    It's all part of their business model of maximizing interchangeable parts among product lines.
    I really like that way of thinking.

Just sent you a PM, I don't monitor the forum every day. My bad.

Vern

Got it, thanks. Responded.

Update. Had to attempt repair. Fussed with it numerous times. Nothing wrong with it electronically (apparently). Used new, longer screws to hold it together since the studs had broken in the fall. Lost the original springs during first disassembly (my fault). Replaced with springs we found elsewhere (had to shorten them to fit).
    Anyway, it's working for now.
    Thanks to all who responded and to Vern with his offer.
    Chris

Haas Factory Support

The issues you have described are consistent with extreme coolant mixtures, like alcohol. However, after examining your RJH unit, I have concluded that this unit corresponds with the early release of this model and we addressed issues like this through engineering changes. I have talked with your local HFO and the Haas Factory Service Manager and we are going to replace this unit under warranty.
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Ken,
    Thanks to you and Haas for handling this in such a professional and generous manner. The machine was out of warranty and you still stepped up and took care of it when you didn't have to. Very impressive.
    Thanks again
    Chris

Excellent outcome. And another reason that I hope to own a Haas some day.

Page 1 of 2 12