587,056 active members*
3,480 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Genes1s G0704 CNC Conversion
Page 2 of 2 12
    Quote Originally Posted by arizonavideo View Post
    It depends on what tools you have.

You could make a new nut that has a pinch clamp and leave extra metal to turn down for the coupler. You could drill the nut and shaft for a spring pin and make a coupler to fit over the nut and shaft and drive in the pin or perhaps drill and weld in a shaft in the end of the screw.

Lots of ways but your tools and skill point you to the answer.
    Thanks,
    Making a new nut, the one closest to the shaft would work. Drilling the nut and insert somekind of key, dowel, spring pin is probably the least favorable since there is not enough area to work with, welding and extension is probably the easiest thing to do, but I need to turn it as well. Either way, it looks like nothing is going to be plug and play like the X and Y axis. Even the X and Y still need some rework or tweaking on the shaft to get the coupler to work correctly.

You didn't say what tools you have access to.

Quote Originally Posted by arizonavideo View Post
    You didn't say what tools you have access to.
    In my garage, not much. Few Dremmel, hack saw, you know home DIY stuff. At work I have access to CNC mill, lathe, to Laser cut to Wire EDM the whole nine yard but I didn't want to bring home project to work. I think welding an extension and have pay someone else to turn in would be cleanest way don't you think.

hoss has a good solution in his plans but I'm not going to post it here, did you see it on the dvd?

Quote Originally Posted by amyers View Post
    hoss has a good solution in his plans but I'm not going to post it here, did you see it on the dvd?
    I have hid DVD his video shows the one with belt drive and pulley conversion but not the direct drive using coupler. I could use the shaft collar method he uses for the belt drive. Just wondering if there are other ways to do it. I'm tempted to just upgrade to ball screw and get the right shaft ends

I don't think he actually did a video of that but there is a text file in the new direct drive z axis folder in the phase 1 folder. he explains how to do it there. hope that helps.

Page 2 of 2 12