586,762 active members*
8,477 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Router for Alu and some wood work, need some opinions.

Router for Alu and some wood work, need some opinions.

I was planning on getting the following:
    Router Kit
    NC Router Kits Engrave Mill Plasma Travel 24"x49" Commercial Milling
    CNC Router Kits Engrave Mill Plasma Travel 24"x49" Commercial Milling | eBay

i will not get the stepper and control board only the frame and the linear guides. Since this machine has linear guides it looks stable to me to cut aluminium, i am not looking in doing crazy DOC i am OK with doing more steps or if the cuts take longer.

For Stepper i wanted to get the following from Automation Technology Inc
    * NEMA 23 Closed Loop Stepper Motor System-Hybrid Servo Kit, 32 bit DSP Based, for all 3 axis
    * Smooth Stepper Ethernet (already have it at home)
    * Mach 3 (already have)

As router the Hitachi m12vc with a Super PID V2 speed controller.
    Then also precision collects from here Precision solid carbide tools for woodworking and metal forming.

My question is, do i make the right choice on the router itself? I have about $2000 - $2500 to spend on the router (frame) alone, but like the option of the linear rails. If needed i can always reinforce the frame with some more parallel extrusion profiles.

Any suggestions are welcome.
    Hive 8 - G0704 CNC Mill - 20 inch Telescope - High Resolution 3D Printer - Lasersaur 100W CO2 Cutter / Engraver

It appears the linear and motion components can handle loads far and above what the frame can actually handle, which looks very light duty.

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    It appears the linear and motion components can handle loads far and above what the frame can actually handle, which looks very light duty.
    I agree with you that the frame looks very light duty, that's one of the reasons why i am asking if it is OK. Or if i should look at a other option.
    Hive 8 - G0704 CNC Mill - 20 inch Telescope - High Resolution 3D Printer - Lasersaur 100W CO2 Cutter / Engraver

I wouldn't bother!

Atleast not for the one I found searching E-Bay. It might be a good machine for a laser or plasma machine but it looks down right flimsy for machining metal or even wood.

Quote Originally Posted by hive8 View Post
    I was planning on getting the following:
    Router Kit
    NC Router Kits Engrave Mill Plasma Travel 24"x49" Commercial Milling
    CNC Router Kits Engrave Mill Plasma Travel 24"x49" Commercial Milling | eBay

i will not get the stepper and control board only the frame and the linear guides. Since this machine has linear guides it looks stable to me to cut aluminium, i am not looking in doing crazy DOC i am OK with doing more steps or if the cuts take longer.
    Linear guides are about reducing friction a have little if anything to do with stability. At first glance the thin uprights supporting the gantry highlighted in my mind that the machine is unsuitable for milling aluminum. A second glance at the rest of the machine sealed the opinion.

You might want to work up pricing on the components to see if the thing is a good deal for the hardware. I honestly think though that you can do better for the components.
    For Stepper i wanted to get the following from Automation Technology Inc
    * NEMA 23 Closed Loop Stepper Motor System-Hybrid Servo Kit, 32 bit DSP Based, for all 3 axis
    * Smooth Stepper Ethernet (already have it at home)
    * Mach 3 (already have)
    I wouldn't jump on those steppers just yet. You will need a better machine than this one to machine Aluminum.
    As router the Hitachi m12vc with a Super PID V2 speed controller.
    Then also precision collects from here Precision solid carbide tools for woodworking and metal forming.

My question is, do i make the right choice on the router itself?
    Any router you buy is by default a handheld tool. As such none of them is really the equivalent of a well designed machine tool spindle. I'd look at the router as an expense that will need periodic rebuild and replacement no matter the brand.
    I have about $2000 - $2500 to spend on the router (frame) alone, but like the option of the linear rails. If needed i can always reinforce the frame with some more parallel extrusion profiles.

Any suggestions are welcome.
    Reinforcing that frame would add considerable expense as it has some fundamental flaws. You would most likely be starting over. Beyond that you should really consider a fixed gantry machine.

I agree with you that the frame looks very light duty, that's one of the reasons why i am asking if it is OK. Or if i should look at a other option.
    I'd look for another option. Machining aluminum means a wide array of things to various user but I can't see using this frame in any way that would be productive. Like I said in the other post a great frame for a laser or plasma but not much else.

You have any suggestion on what kit or hardware to use?

You have any suggestion on what kit or hardware to use?
    Not really. I don't have a router at the moment. What I'd look at is a DIY solution if you have the shop equipment to machine the components. Other wise I think your budget will need work.

The main problem I have with the machine you linked to is that I just don't think it is stiff enough to realistically handle the machining of Aluminum. I just see vibration issues with all the thin section components the frame is made of. I'd go so far as to say I've seen MDF machines that look like they would be stiffer.

You don't want an MDF machine for machining metal of course. What you need is a machine without the thin cross sections in the metal components.

OK so after some decisions, i am going a different route, going to get a 2' x 4' K2 router... I am sure i will be happy with it...

OK so after some decisions, i am going a different route, going to get a 2' x 4' K2 router... I am sure i will be happy with it...
    I had to look up K2 to see what it was. Right off the bat they look like they have a better handle on machinery. They also offer a frame upgrade which mean they recognize that different uses require different construction. Give the company a ring and tell them what you want to do.

We have a 3925G machine which is quite flexible--about 1000 lb/in stiffness, and not nearly enough for efficient aluminum cutting. There are a number of problems: only 1 bearing per Y and Z rail, 1/4" thick gantry plate is very flexy, low mounted X rails and closely spaced bearings allow tipping. Their current "HD" upgrade fixes the bearing issue but it doesn't sound like they changed the gantry plate thickness. Ours is accurate and repeatable, but not a good choice for cutting aluminum.
    David Malicky

When you cut aluminium what settings have you been using to cut? Did you use special cutters? What DOC and RPM did you use? Also what diameter cutter?

Sorry for the slow reply. I've not done any optimization for aluminum cutting with it, as the potential is just not there. Our machine chatters even with moderately heavy cuts in hardwood. To see some ballpark capabilities, try searching youtube for "k2cnc aluminum" -- almost everyone is using 1/8" cutters or smaller. One person cuts steel at 0.001" DOC.

I've also looked for an economical and stiff 2x4 machine but there isn't much out there. XZero makes a machine with thick frame members, but still uses 1 bearing per rail. With K2, if you ordered the current "HD" option with 2 bearings per rail, and reinforced the gantry plate and side plates, it should be much better for aluminum. Or DIY.
    David Malicky

Smile Re:aluminum laser cutter

We use the needham-laser for the aluminum cutting and it is quite effective for this type of materials...

I think you have to set the aluminum cutting depth and the width for it...
    needham-laser.com

Quote Originally Posted by dmalicky View Post
    Sorry for the slow reply. I've not done any optimization for aluminum cutting with it, as the potential is just not there. Our machine chatters even with moderately heavy cuts in hardwood. To see some ballpark capabilities, try searching youtube for "k2cnc aluminum" -- almost everyone is using 1/8" cutters or smaller. One person cuts steel at 0.001" DOC.

I've also looked for an economical and stiff 2x4 machine but there isn't much out there. XZero makes a machine with thick frame members, but still uses 1 bearing per rail. With K2, if you ordered the current "HD" option with 2 bearings per rail, and reinforced the gantry plate and side plates, it should be much better for aluminum. Or DIY.
    The XZero machine use 2 standard blocks each rail for X axis, the single bearings on Y and Z are non standard long blocks, more strength for holding that is needed.
    XZero cnc

Nice cutting in aluminum! What cutter and rpm did you use? Thanks for correcting my post on the bearings. Right, that's the same config as K2 uses (2 standard blocks for each X rail, 1 long block for each Y and Z rail). Probably the thick XZero frame members make the difference, or maybe the XZero blocks are stiffer.
    David Malicky

Really, aluminum is relatively free-cutting and with the right parameters (and the right alloy) you can really make chips fly. Of course, the stiffer the machine, the better. I've learned to work around my machine's limitations to get it to cut the best it can, but of course it's nowhere near what a proper mill can do (just a sampling):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVpKLBXvtSs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAsp3_uN7SY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44IZ8cLs43U