586,493 active members*
1,473 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Ceramic Inserts

Are there any super alloy milling fools out here that are aware of a .250 dia.
    milling insert? I checked Kennametal. Their smallest is .375. I tried Greenleaf website but the "contact" page is not working properly. (returns an error when I push the "submit" button.)

I am looking for a 1" or 1 1/4" dia. milling cutter (3 flute?) for .250 round ceramic inserts.

I am presently using Kennametal 1/2" round inserts. Application is roughing into a square shoulder. (step) Part materials are Hastalloy X and Nimonic 263. Toolpath is approx. 24 inches long, one inch or less deep. The finish part needs a .125 corner fillet radius. As is is now, I need to semi-finish with carbide inserts to remove the .250 Rad. left behind by the ceramic inserts, before I run the final finish tool with a .125 rad. (The .25 rad. is too much for the finish tool to deal with.)I want to be able to rough with ceramic that has a .125 rad. and eliminate the semi-finish tool.
    This smaller dia. would also enable us to increase SFM as well as eliminate a semi-finish tool.
    We are currently cutting Nimonic (C-263) at over 3000 SFM. Using the Kennametal 1/2" round insert, in a 2" dia. 3 flute cutter body, the sweet spot seems to be 6050 rpm
    66 ipm. .125 doc .500+ radial doc.

I would need an off the shelf item because of time constraints combined with frugal...........no...."cheap" management here.
    ie. : If ya gotta make it special it probably won't do me any good.
    "The source of expertise is not in the memorization of the minute details of a subject but in the thorough understanding of the fundamental concepts on which it is based." --author unknown

You might try these guys. I have used thier inserts on Nickel alloys with good results. I also keep some around to use if I need to "neck" down a tap or hss mill.

Couldn't find a web site, only the main one, not the one spesific to cutting tools.

N T K Cutting Tools
    39205 Country Clb Dr
    Farmington Hills, MI 48331
    Phone (248) 489-0123, Fax (248) 489-0095
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

wms thanks.
    I've been told there's no such thing. Too small. And after
    thinking on it some more, I'm not going to gain as much as I thought (if anything) anyways. First of all I need to correct myself above. The sf will be the same. It's the speeds and feeds that will increase due to smaller cutter dia. And conversly I'll be taking 1/2
    doc. and less chip load. So... I'll be moving not quite, twice as fast, but taking twice as many cuts.
    IF that is true, THEN I may not even be able to loose the semi-finish tool, because I would have still roughed with the bigger tool agressively and semi-finished with the smaller ceramic.
    It was a win, loose, loose deal.
    I'm gonna try somthing else.
    "The source of expertise is not in the memorization of the minute details of a subject but in the thorough understanding of the fundamental concepts on which it is based." --author unknown