586,795 active members*
2,748 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

i need a small machine

i would like to know my options for a small footprint machine ,something that will fit in a garage . i`d like to use it to cut steel mostly . i`ve looked at the tormach but i`m not convinced it could handle or meet my needs . i`d like something with about 12" in the y .

Cool One more choice

It is probably one more choice for you, the Cantilever struction type. Portable CNC Cutting Machines? Cantilever CNC Cutting Machines, CNC Cutting Machines? Plasma Cutters. Plate-Top Cantilever CNC Cutting machines support both plasma and flame.

not even close

Quote Originally Posted by magnum500sw View Post
    not even close
    With 12" in Y and a generic statement of needing to cut steel you are not looking for a "small" machine. You are looking for something like a mid size knee mill or custom building a machine.

There are some nice fixed cast iron gantry hybrids out there, but they tend towards high speed spindles and are not suitable for steel milling. If you make your own you could of course fit any spindle design you want.

My two ton Hurco has 14" of Y travel, but it fits in "my" garage with 16 ft eve height and overhead doors ranging from 10 to 14 ft high. It might not fit in "your" garage.

On the low end cheaper machines like this ... Bolton Tools CNC Milling Machine 3 Axis Mill XQK9620S Free Shipping | eBay even 10 inches of travel Y is paired with a modestly large machine. (This actually looks like a benchtop with a stand so...)

If you go a bit bigger ... G0499 10" X 54" 3-Axis CNC Milling Machine you can get your full travel requirements, but I don't know if it will fit in "your" garage.

... then there are power requirements... That Grizzly has a 3 phase spindle motor.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

www.integratedmechanical.ca

thanks for the reply bob . i`ve looked at the knee mills and they just will not do what i need it to do . the z travel seems to be limited . i liked the tree journeyman but the quill is the z. i`d like something in the line of a haas mini mill . i`d get one of them but i don`t care for the price . i`d like to build but the work is here now so time is limited . i have been looking at the bolton but i`m just not sold on it . i just missed out on a takumi 10 for 5 g`s . that would have been good to start with .maybe a fadal vmc 15 will work .

A knee mill is maybe worth a second look. You did not mention Z travel in your first post so I never considered it, but think of this... You aren't going to cut any deeper than the length of your end mill in most cases. (Probably 99.9999% of the time) You can always jack the knee up and down as needed for clearance.

Consider the exact nature of the jobs you will be doing with it.

Abviously a machine with an ATC can save some time, but I do quite a lot of work without one.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Haas Mini - Mill I made a pretty good living with one in the garage. And yes, it will cut steel.
    www.WebMachinist.Net
    The Ultimate Online Source for Machinist Related Stuff!

I dont see where yuo get 12" Y out of a Haas mini mill? Maybe you where thinking X axis.

ANyway for a mill close to the Haas mini at a lower price you might look at Dave's mills.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera..._umc-10_a.html

Here is a thread with some info, and you can do a search on U-tube to get some more idea of who is behind these mills.

Jess
    GOD Bless, and prayers for all.

i don`t think they sell them anymore . i do like that mill though . thanks for the link .

I think they said they made 16 of them. It is a nice mill for the size. Did you give them a ring?

Quote Originally Posted by magnum500sw View Post
    i don`t think they sell them anymore . i do like that mill though . thanks for the link .
    Haas CNC Vertical Machining Center (VMC) | Haas Automation, Inc. | CNC Machine Tools

Haas has completely redone thier web site so I suspect this is current info. More so it was my understanding that the Mini Mill was very successful for Haas.

i like the haas mini but a new price with it nicely equiped is a bit on the high side for me at this time . i search religously for a used one . they are out there .

Why would you think they dont sale them anymore? Looking at the thread I linked it is not very old. Ofcourse the only way to know is to call Dave, he is very respectable and will tell you truth about where the company stands.

This guys use to be a owner of Fadal machine company and started building these after he sold the company. If you can get one I dont think yuo will find anything else to fit the need as good (unless a good used buy comes along). Infact this is the first I knew of the name of the company. They are really just getting it up and running for the public to be able to buy as far as I know. They have had the design worked out for a couple years but these are the first machines I have seen to show up in public hands. Leading me to think they have moved forward with this.

I dont have any connections with them, but if I had the funds I would buy one. I love the fact he used Flashcut for the controller to, it should be a very dependable machine. Plus its all made here in the states, and he has the ability to take the company anywhere he wishes ( he has the money to keep the supply up, unlike some other companies around that sale machines).

IDK, a phone call could anwser it all pretty quick. Dave is not the type to have a web site up without being able to back it.

Jess
    GOD Bless, and prayers for all.

those are very nice , i would consider one of them . the only trouble that i have with it is the tool changer . it comes down the head does not go up . i really do like it other then that .

Hi I saw this mill while browsing the 'net....made in India by ToolCraft of Hindustan.

It comes with an 8 station linear tool changer for the smaller models.

I like the design, made from cast iron castings, so should be very rigid.
    Ian.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ToolCrafter fixed gantry router.jpg