586,570 active members*
3,564 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Electronic Parts

I have been watching the forum for quite awhile as I have built a EDM(sinker) that is automatic with a stepper. Want to now build a cnc foam cutter and maybe some other tools but I thought I would put this in here as I think I found a gold mine. They removed the old (1995) xray machine from the hospital here and it went to the landfill. I have a few friends there as it is a small town and they save chainsaw engines for my main hobby. (rc aircraft)
    I have most of the electronics out of it and tommorrow will see if I can get the sliding rails from it. They kept the servo motors(dam) but the rest is there. A question that comes to mind are the rails. From the looks they are chain driven for motion and would they be adaptable to a cnc operation. I have a wrecked sholder and am not to fussy about pulling it apart if it won't work.
    A lot of the chips on the boards are plugin which makes it easy to sort and I have power supplies up to 90 amps. and some of the boards operated the motors so I think it is a good find.
    John

Don't quite understand your question.

As far as the "chain driven rails" part of your score goes, yes, you could adapt them to CNC operation via either stepper or servo drive.

Interesting. I went over a few X-ray machines that had been pulled from a hospital (the company that pulled them got paid big$$$ just to haul them away!) but didn't see any servos or rails...perhaps those pieces didn't make it to my fishing hole. All I was able to get were some high voltages caps and diodes, dripping oil, from the transformer after they drained the oil (they sent the oil for testing first to make sure it was safe (no pcbs).

For me, DNA sequencers are the real gold mine. They usually contail a x-y table with servos, a small air cooled argon laser, a stepper that rotates a really cool set of narrow bandpass filters, and a very nice high voltage supply. I got 3 free from my fishing hole a year ago :banana:

Thanks for the info. The whole machine was broke down to make small enough to remove and the only parts I can figure that are missing is the motors and #4 cables and smaller where cut. I removed all the boards(lots) and also the transformers and power supplies. The 10 large caps are in one package with no leaks rated at 6000uf/350 volts. They where using the machine before removing as it is an upgrade for the hospital. Some of the power supplies have large torridal transformers and some are regular sq.type. Everything looks like it was 110/220 by the markings. After I get this sorted out I will be asking some questions on the parts.
    The 10 caps in the bank are in parallel configuration brass strapped(1/2"x1/16") configuration with 18k/10w resistors on each one. I am not sure if these would have any use for a smaller cnc setup. If somebody says I could use a couple then I would give some away. I am located in Vulcan Alberta Canada. There is just to much for me to actually keep.
    John

I have removed a lot of chips from the machine which where all plug in. If I had to unsolder them they stayed. I would like to know if anybody can give me a safe way to check the toriod transformers? Hunted all over for info and found basically nothing. I have quite a few from 8" dia. down to 2". Most are multiwired with about 8 leads or better.
    Any info would be appreciatted as from reading the posts they are quite useful even if I have to rewind them.
    Thanks in advance,
    John
    ps: There are more PS's with 2 in there own enclosures. One is rated on 2 outputs 24v at 32amps and the other is 12v at 20 amps. The other has 5 voltages from 2 to 12v and the 12v's are both rated at 17amps. They are very heavy.

I've salvaged quite a few items especially everything to do with power supplies. My first project is going to be a foam cutter and I am rewiring a microwave transformer. I salvaged from a toriadal coil some 14 guage wire for wrapping the secondary. It is a single wrap so believe it was a large choke or something like that. Remember I am a hobbiest. The coil is 4 3/4" dia.x1 1/4" thick with about 4 layers tightly wrapped around the circumferance. I have 1 wrap half off and it is about 30'. I have wrapped the m/trans. with #18 for a 12v supply at this time to run the board after. I want to use the #14 to make a 24/48/60 volt centre tapped secondary if possible for later use. The schematic says it requires 24v at 5amps for the bow. If I wrap the extra winds on for 48/60 is this going to give me a problem. I think I should sooner ask before letting a lot of smoke out.
    I also have 3 other larger coils with one being a stepup from 220. Steps up 8 voltages to max of 430v. I am not going to play with this as I don't think I want anything near this for an amature cnc setup. If anybody is in the Calgary area has any use for it let me know.
    Thanks, John

John, If you have any of it that you want to unload, I am a couple of provinces over, but have relatives in Calgary who are aways out this way, let me know what you want for any Caps, or transformers.
    Send me a PM if that will be OK.
    When salvaging toroids for 60hz power supplies, make sure any of them are Iron core and not ferrite, these are used on higher frequency applications.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al,
    Will sort some of this out. I am just glad to see someone maybe use some of it. Will pm later when my Grandkids are gone to see what you can use.
    Quick question. Are the ferrite cores respond to a magnet for checking or do they both. Just to identify the cores would be the problem on some of them.
    Thanks John

They will both respond to a magnet, usually you only have to watch on the smaller cores, probabally larger ones and ones you can identify as being operated on 50/60hz are going to be wound-strip iron.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

xray machines opperate between 7 and 10 million volts.
    so i am sure there is a dandy supply there somewhere.
    so maybe approach some of this stuff with a little caution.
    you could make some nice indoor lightning shows