586,690 active members*
2,974 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > So how do these come off again?

So how do these come off again?

Taking stuff apart for the belt drive conversion, got all the bits I won't need out of the head itself, but these two on the lid are on there pretty good. I actually got the intermediate shaft to move, but the bearing is sliding out of the bore and gets caught by the big gear on the splined 'shaft'.

I do want to keep the splined piece in there, but dont mind getting it off to pull the other shaft..

Any tips?

Just realized I didn't even say what it is. That's the top plate on an RF45 clone, upside down!

Any ideas at all? As far as I can tell, there's a snap ring that holds the spline drive in place. But I can't find a way to get to it! On the top side of the lid, there's a hat shaped piece that covers the top bearing. I don't see any holes or screws, tried twisting it off with vise grips with no luck.

My guess is they both simply pull out - press fit on the bearings into the housing.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Force!
    PM-45 CNC conversion built/run/sold.

Haha..

The drawings I've seen and pictures from the guys that were trying to use the spline drive to mount a pulley for their belt drive setup showed two snap rings in there - one keeps the bearings on the shaft, the other seemed to keep the bearings on the lid. Hammering (loose term used to describe my deployment of force..) on the spline drive didn't seem to make it budge. I'll go at the intermediate shaft again with a bit more.. Persuasion. I don't need any of these, but it sure would be nice to not be too destructive!

I think I used a big lever of some sort to pry out the middle guy. And yes you should see a snap ring on the outside of the other one. Once that is off... force.
    PM-45 CNC conversion built/run/sold.

Quote Originally Posted by TiagoSantos View Post
    On the top side of the lid, there's a hat shaped piece that covers the top bearing. I don't see any holes or screws, tried twisting it off with vise grips with no luck.
    Just pry that top hat out, its just a press fit, a bit more persuasion will get it to come out and reveal the snap ring. Its been too long since I had mine apart but from the video I took of my gearbox with the lid off all the bearings stayed on their shafts (ie all came out of the lid).

Mike

Ahh, cool! I'm definitely not worried about scratching the paint on this puppy, so I'll try to have a go at it tonight with a big pry bar!

Thanks guys

Mine has a snap ring on the splined shaft ( the big geared one) on the top side. It really has two snap rings, one to allow the shaft to come out of the bearing, and one to allow the bearing to come out of the housing.

In other words flip this whole assy over and remove the small snap ring from the big geared shaft. Slight force will drive the shaft out. Then you can remove the big snap ring and drive the bearing out the top of housing (bearing will not come out with the shaft). Shaft comes out of bottom, bearing comes out of top.

These bearings went bad in mine just from drawing moisture during shipping. Because they where above the oil fill they rusted and the ones down in the oil where fine.

Jess
    GOD Bless, and prayers for all.

Thanks for all the tips, I finally got around to it last night and got it off in 5 minutes The trick was getting the top hat shaped retainer thing off, prying it off with a screwdriver/hammer combo got things rolling easily for the rest of the steps.

Might end up using the splined driver in the end!

If you happened to take photos of the 'trick', please post them...

I did not think to take a picture, but I'll do a "mock up" next time I head downstairs and take some pics

Here they are..

Firstly, the top hat retainer thing needs to come off. On my machine, it was a light press fit, so a few taps with a screwdriver and hammer made it pop off easily:

My RF-40 did not have that piece, so your mileage may vary.. Either way, there's a snap ring that holds the splined gear in place, it sits on that top bearing sort of like this:

Once the snap ring is off, the splined gear pops out with some minimal force - I don't have a press, so I tapped it out.

Thanks for the tips everyone! After measuring things, I turned the outside of the spline drive to 35mm and bored out a pulley bushing to 35mm. Should have a temporary belt drive going this weekend!

Very informative, thanks...