586,377 active members*
2,391 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Complaints and Praise Discussions > How much are you satisfied with your BOUGHT CNC machine?

Unhappy How much are you satisfied with your BOUGHT CNC machine?

Hello all,

In about 2 months, I bought KL-3025 CNC machine from Automation Technologies Inc (previously Keling), driven by Build Your Own CNC book. Everything went fine. Requested payment to be done on 2 invoices , requested shipping quote, payed, blah blah blah....

Got the router, spindle, drivers, power supply, all happy.

After some time started to find misconceptions from specifications which were on the web site, and the actual received machine.

1. Basically, web site mention 285, got 185 oz-in motors. Raised the question on this, got answer that "That is small machine, and I don't need bigger motors". And I just dropped the question, got no time for innuendos and stuff.

2. Ball bearing screws are marked SFU1610-C7, in real they are SFT1605 - not much problem here, better resolution.

3. As I started to work, machine gives very interesting noises... Investigated deeper, discovered that a Z axis front plate is holding only on 2 screws on the bottom, but not on the screws on top, and vibration which is developed by spindle, shakes the plate. Hey, OK, I'll re-tap the screws and put little bit bigger ones. That will surely hold the plate.

4. Lower linear ball bearing for Z axis from the left guide dont have snap rings and it is falling down. Well, this was the last interesting stuff discovered tonight. Obviously I will have to get new one.

Somebody will say that, "Hey, it's cheap machine! How much money you invest in it, so much you will get.". I say "Yeah, but it's my money, and at least I deserve little bit higher quality from the seller." And choosing US seller, that should at least give little bit more quality control of the product.

However, long story short, question is, following:

How much are you satisfied with your BOUGHT CNC machine.

Thank you,
    Vladimir

The KL-3025 certainly looks a decently made machine, and the 285oz/in I would guess was most likely a typo, as 185oz/in would be more than powerful enough for a machine given this size, even doing aluminium.

If you dealt with the Chinese sellers on Ebay, almost everything about the machine would differ slightly or greatly from the description, usually not adversely though, just differently.

If anything was adversely affecting the machine, such as the snap ring you mentioned, I'd certainly be waving a stick at them to get it sorted.

My machines have all been from Chinese sellers, and in general I'm very happy with all of them, except of course the crappy controllers supplied with the 6040's. I have made some allowances for minor instances, but haven't had anything earth shattering.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

I've bought two CNC machines, and was very satisfied with each.

The first was a Probotix Fireball V90. I bought everything - machine and electronics - from Probotix, and got exactly what I ordered with very good instructions, and a helpful support forum.

The second machine was a Microcarve MV3. I still think this is the best small machine in the market, and I would strongly recommend it to any small scale user. Microcarve machines also have a great support forum, and John (maker) is always contactable right through the order, build and post-implementation process.

I think the common factor in making a great machine is that both Probotix and Microcarve run their own support forums, and take an on-going interest in the users of their machines. Before buying, you can see the experiences of other users, and how well any problems are addressed.

One day I'd like to move to a bigger machine to support a business idea I have in mind. When I do, it will be a machine like a Shopbot or Camaster, purely because of the strength of their respective communities.

Ron.
    WARNING: I am not responsible for links in my posts unless I specifically refer to that link. CNCZone is modifying posts. Click these links at your own risk.

@aarrgh

I agree considering the typo. However, it's one of basic advertisement for selling stuff... How would you react if you bought a car which says it has 4 cylinders, and you got only 2? I bet not too good, right? And the suggestion to solve raising the bell considering other parts, I don't think that I will do that. Better to fix it by myself, and be sure that fixing is permanent.

@Ron
    Thank you Ron, for pointing at good directions for Probotix and Microcarve. After reviewing the specifications, I strongly believe that you make good choice.

Considering the business idea, one of the reason why I mentioned the motors, was that by my plan, bought machine would be start up just to get going with business, and later to use the usable parts of it for homemade bigger machine. Well, obviously, Murphy works in mysterious ways ;-)

Basic line, this was very good learning experience, and I don't think that I will repeat this again. And for sure I will suggest to everybody to double check the specifications. Even request written explanation before buying, so you can dangle that in front of the seller and request solving the misconceptions.

If I did not start doing what I'm doing, I would be very disappointed and probably I would scratch whole project. Now I'm going to fix the problem and continue with race. I'm scared that more gifted people got fairly usable equipment and than started to doubt in their ability because of the bad tool.

Thank you for replying.
    Vladimir