Some time ago I required a large surface plate and tried some ideas with Epoxy granite and glass as an alternative. I came to the conclusion there was no way these could be a decent substitute for my prurposes.
After years of of putting things off, I finally got so fed up with the rediculous cost of surface plates in Australia that I did my research and found a Chinese company. Then arranged a frieght forwarding company to assist me in importing it.

Bottom Line:
Quotes given here for 900x900x150mm Grade '0' Granite suface plates varied a bit but was around min $3200+ not including delivery.
Some like Starrett said they simply do not deliver to residential addresses. OK then, Goodbye.
(Note that there is one business I found that seems highly suspicious. Too cheap comparitively speaking. Why? They only arrange delivery to a sea port. After that, good luck to you! It would probably cost $1000 to get it out of customs alone. Needless to say, I do NOT recommend buying from them.)

Now my cost;
1000x1000x150mm Grade '00' Granite surface plate; $300USD
Approx frieght costs including delivery to my door: $750AUD

Note1: There was no insurance on this but I took the risk.

Note2: You (prob) need to request your frieght forwarder to organise a tail-lift truck for residential delivery.

Note3: Payment made through T/T

Note4: I would not recommend you try to do the importing yourself! You have to know what you are doing and will probably be more costly anyway.

Note5: Be very careful with certain sites that have Chinese business listings. There are too many scammers there and I think not worth the risk unless you have multiple ways to check out the business.

Note6: To maximize your dollar, try to order as much as you can to fit into 1 cubic metre, under 1000kg at $1000AUD max. No GST, import duties and freight charges are in 1 cubic metre blocks.

What company did I buy it from?
Qingdao Fumin Stone Precision Machinery Co., Ltd.--Ê×Ò³

I spoke to a gentleman named "Walker". Helpful and knowledgeable sales manager.

Freight forwarder I used?
Freight and More Pty Ltd - Welcome - International Freight Forwarders - Customs Brokers - Melbourne
Again, very helpful and organised everything. Gave me a date and time of delivery at home which was spot-on.

Another note;
I am in NO WAY associated with these two companies!
Get some quotes and you may do better than me.

Hope this information is helpful to people.
:wave: