586,533 active members*
2,770 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Newbie; What the ???? is that?

Newbie; What the ???? is that?

I signed up on CNCzone a looooong time ago and this is a question I have often thought about asking:

Why do people (insist) on calling themselves newbies when a word has existed in the English (even American English) language for centuries to identify a newcomer to a particular field. I refer (of course) to NOVICE!!!!!!

Go to Dictionary.com (or whatever) and you will find that a novice is; "a person who is new to or inexperienced in a certain task, situation, etc.; beginner; tyro"

If they don't like the "newbies" they could save keyboard time by calling themselves 'tyros'. This term has been around for a few centuries and has the meaning: young soldier, recruit, beginner,"

Alternatively there are many other words to choose from including these Synonyms (for novice): amateur, apprentice, beginner, colt, convert*, cub, first of May, fledgling, greenhorn, gremlin, know from nothing, learner, mark*, neophyte, new kid on the block, newcomer, novitiate, plebe, postulant, prentice, probationer, proselyte, punk*, pupil, recruit, rookie, starter, student, tenderfoot, trainee

and these for 'beginner'; Synonyms: abecedarian, amateur, apprentice, buckwheater, catechumen, colt, fish*, fledgling, greenhorn, greenie, initiate, learner, neophyte, new kid on the block, new person, newcomer, novice, novitiate, probationer, recruit, starter, student, tenderfoot, trainee, tyro

I will admit that some of the synonyms are not appropriate because apprentice and probationer are special categories of novice and some words such as 'novitiate' are normally reserved for ecclesiastical careers. But considering how many appropriate synonyms already exist for novice why was it necessary to create a new one.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I think "newbie" or "newbee" is an internet invention that comes from the phrase "want to be..." or "wannabe". Blame the nerds, geeks, and young kids for the loss of our communication and language skills. I know I blame them (for a lot more than that).

Hmm. I kind of like buckwheater! I think of newbie as a pejorative.

---------------------------------
    Steve
    - Buckwheater extraordinaire

I prefer the back-formation "newb"...

It's a lot like "dweeb", only it's different.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    But considering how many appropriate synonyms already exist for novice why was it necessary to create a new one.
    I feel your pain.
    As probably some have noticed I always have a gripe against posts where either the wrong name has been applied to a certain component or worse, the definition has been changed, both mainly due to those making their own assumption rather than being aware of the proper terminology or origin of the term.
    This of course one of the down sides of dispensation of knowledge through the internet, many times I have come across someone who has put up a web site with a list of what they consider correct definitions and terms, and any beginner in the subject of course, takes this as gospel and the myth is perpetuated. :violin:
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Newbie, newB, newby- The term has been around for decades. Back in the 80's in the military we called new arrivals newbies, so I don't think it's an internet thing any more than the color cyan. (I used to work with a guy who thought cyan wasn't a color name until someone was trying to describe the blue hue coming from their monitor.)
    Later,
    Charlie