586,352 active members*
3,304 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > monitor upgrade possiable for centurion 4?

monitor upgrade possiable for centurion 4?

has anyone upgraded the monitor for the centurion iv control? a.k.a. larger. I have a partner 4 and partner 7 both with the centurion iv controllers that work great for what we do. but i would really like some sort of better monitor set up.

I have upgraded two centurion IV's, its no problem at all. I ran a new vga cable from the pc in the cabinet and tapped power in from the old monitor. Took the monitor out of its case and mounted it directly in the mill. Had to machine away the face place a little so it wouldn't block any of the screen.

On the difficulty scale I'd rate it a 2/5, its a little work but everything is easy and intuitive so you don't need any instructions.

Found a fitujisti (spelling ?) point of sale monitor on ebay (color vga lcd touch screen bought it for $30.00 +$14.40 for shipping used power supply from backup harddrive unit >plugs right in. Unit fits cutout perfectly without bezel. All adjustments are accessible from inside of box. Mininal mounting problems. Works great. ( is 12" monitor) > unit came brand new in never opened box. > Factory new cost $700-800 Centurion wants $1400 for color crt. Good luck> also tried to fit 13" crt's in control was frustrating waste of time and effort. Hsarc

i dont have a standard p.c. based system on a centurion iv controller , tried to post pictures from photobucket but it didn't work

You can post pictures by using the img code available on photobucket. Here is a picture of mine after I replaced the monitor and trimmed the cabinet down to 6" deep. I work from a wheelchair, so that's why I have it mounted so low.... odd for most people, but works for me.

shots of the monitor

the mother board and cabinet

thanks to Brian L for the photo info. mill looks like a nice setup , I have the centurion 4 controller on mine

I don't know for sure, but I thought that the Centurion controls were all PC based, which would mean you should be able to probably change the video card and then put a flat screen on it. I'm not a computer geek and had a friend that knows these things helping, but it was all ebay stuff, a new, old stock monitor, think it was for an RV or boat originally, a new video card and vga cable from front to back and we were in business. I don't think I had more than $100 or so in that part of it.

I recently had to swap a regular 15" lcd monitor out with my monochrome CRT because it kept going black on me(CentV). My company is notoriously cheap and considers hanging a flatscreen over the old CRT a "repair." My spirit has pretty much been broken by these fools, so I really don't even care how horrible the set-up looks becuase they don't. However, my machine has developed a bit of narcolepsy and now crashes to reboot quite often, ruining several parts and a couple of fixtures along the way. I'm thinking it's the monitor not being compatible or possibly some type of ground loop interference from the power source? Any input is appreciated.

C4 monitor

The centurion 4 is unlike the the C5/C6 controls. The display is a 10" CRT that is NOT a PC based video output. ie: CGA, EGA or VGA nor is it a composit signal like on a TV (yellow video jack)

It is a sepetate video signal with its own horizontal and vetrical sync rates.
    These signals are made up "in" the video board mounted on top of the main C4board. The signals are then sent to the CRT thru a 10 pin TRW type connector.
    Think more "like" old video arcade games type of signals where each video game had it's "own" type of video signal. Every manufacture had it's "own" signal and Hor / vert sync rates.
    Not unlike all the different Japan CNC CRTs had there "own" way of doing video.

So, It looks like this:
    CRT1 ( video board) CRT 10 pin connector
    pin 1 > H sync > pin 6
    pin 3 > Video sig > pin 8
    pin5 > V sync thru 150ohm resistor > pin9
    pin 30 > -12VDC > pin 7
    pin 11 < pot end < pin 2
    pin 13 < pot wiper < pin4
    pin 15 < pot end < pin 3
    pin 23 < gnd < pin 1
    pin 25 < gnd < pin 10

So, as you can see this video array is nothing like a "PC video signal" That is used on C5 and later controls.
    Early C5 used EGA and then was switched to VGA (EGA used a 9 pin DB connector, VGA uses a 15 DB connector, whick is why some people mention running a new cable from the control to the front panel.

If needed, I do have 2 complete operational C4 systems I am willing to sell.
    I can make vieos of them running is interested.
    Both machines are "scheduled" to be updated to C5 controls.

I also have LCD updates available for the C5/6/7 controls, "plug and play" these are industrial displays that will mount inside the front panel.

Sporty bob