587,187 active members*
5,063 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Can I burn eprom for Fanuc 18TT

I have modified a ladder program to allow communication with a Fanuc robot through I/O link with our Fanuc 18TT controller on a Miyano LM-11 cnc lathe. The only problem I have is it uses an eprom chip. I have located a supply of chips and a burner (from Digi-key), but is it just that simple to burn the ladder to the eprom? Do I need any additional software or converter to allow me to burn this to the eprom? Thanks for any info you can give.

you can burn that modified ladder in that equipment , but you can not run the machine after burning the Ladder in EPROM from a third party EPROM Writer .
    you can use Fanuc tool for that .
    Regards
    [email protected]

hi friend, use fanuc pmc eprom convert tool , can do .

it can convert EPROM data to LAD data , and convert LAD data to EPROM data .

[email protected]

the ladder format is not like anything you can burn from a chip burner, the converter software a post or two up Ive heard about, but never seen it work...thought it was for 011-0e1-binary for the zero family controls, dunno if he realizes the early 18 controls had that single big eprom...to burn the chip, its got to be coded (for lack of better word) by fanuc software, either directly from the control, or offline using a PG type programmer, or ibm type 'fladderII' software package, output to a fanuc 'pc-writer' or 'fa-writer' prom burner, but they require a special adapter for the big eprom...

I just recently found the '1 meg rom adapter' for our pcwriters, looked for a year, they are rare as hens teeth... only found 4 total in existence besides the one we bought, theres probably dozens of them covered in dust in someones parts bins out there, but good luck locating one...I think a lot of this old stuff got tossed in the trash as useless long ago by a lot of the people that bought them, not knowing even fanuc wouldnt have one available years later...weve got one of the old 3/6/9 suitcase programmers too, I only know of two others that still exist, plus one on ebay that will likely never sell- those controls have gotten so far past obsolete those of us that still mess with them could likely be counted on one hand...

on our 18, before finding the rom adapter, I had put a -0540 ram card in the machine and loaded the ladder to the ram card from fladderII- drawback is the unreadable eprom required typing the entire ladder into fladder once, rather than just uploading/editing(was a full rewrite, so was no biggie- but for a simple edit, would really suck), we ran several machines on RAM modules for a year without issues, but if batteries die youd lose more than parameters... the 'newer' (like late 90's up) 16/18/21 with flash are a lot easier...

I dunno if the old tt uses the same 1 meg rom as a regular 18t, but likely does.- think it was a 27c1024 or something like that IIRC... the later ones with flash rom are soooo much easier to mess with, no more oddball hardware required...

should mention one more thing- the 11tt required different programming software than a 11t, and different ram card version(4003 instead of 4002) software too- IF the 18tt needs special programming software, you might be in trouble getting a chip burned- unsure...some of the tt stuff was kinda unique. dont erase the original chip, and be sure to save at least a raw binary copy off a generic burner just in case... losing a 'becoming impossible to replace' chips data would really suck. blanks should be available on ebay dirt cheap. a generic eprom burner might be a good investment also- wouldnt hurt to backup eproms...they dont fail often, but they can...

what did you use to develop your modified ladder- in unbacked ram using the built in ladder editor, or offline/fladder II/loaded to ram module? if you did it on the screen using the editor, unsure, but you might be best off getting a pcwriter or fawriter with required rom adapter and burn it right from the control- pretty sure that was still possible with the 18...I found a couple more of the rom adapters the past couple yrs, none were for sale, but they were owned by service/repair guys...got that stuff jotted down somewhere at work, worst case maybe you could get someone in on a 'service call' type of thing to bring the hardware along to do the chip? if youre looking to buy the hardware, good luck...finding that stupid rom adapter was a PITA, and we had to pay like 2500 bucks for it...plus the pcwriters used still go for around a grand...these little yellow boxes can get pricey, even 10-20 yrs later...