586,465 active members*
3,751 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

How large is your work bench?

I have completed a JGRO router (Sort of). My problem is in adjusting it. When I originally set up my Workbench, I used a cast-off from work, ad bolted it to the wall. The problem is that it is exactly the same width as the router, and since it is bolted to the wall, i am unable to adjust the back (Far travel of Y Axis) bolts for the X Axis adjustment nuts.

Yesterday, I had finally had it when I was trying to adjust them from an awkward position, and ended up stripping out ANOTHER adjustment block!

Today, after work, i stopped by Lowes, picked up some lumber, and began building a new custom-made Workbench. It is 46X96 inches. perfect to cover with a 4X8 sheet of Plywood.

I have the frame made, and it appears to be ROCK SOLID. I just need some more 2X4's to put in for supports in the middle.

As you can see from the pics, i have a MASIVELY MESSY, CLUTTERED, UNORGANIZED workshop! (chair) It is amazing I don't cut my own arm off, but i am use to it..Mainly it is all storage.

I will also try to post some pics of my Router as it currently stands..

Eddie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1065.JPG   100_1064.JPG   100_1063.JPG   100_1062.JPG  

Pic of my Router and controller enclosure

Here are the pics of my router and Controller enclosure with fan.

The white (Sort of) item hanging between the computer and the router is a sheet. I an wrap it around the poles I nailed up around my router, in order to help keep the dust contained.

Any comments welcome.. ESPECIALLY anything to watch out for where the workbench is concerned. I considered mounting it on wheels for easier moving, but that would have cost me too much stability in my opinion, so i will scoot it if I need to move it ..

Eddie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1058.JPG   100_1059.JPG   100_1060.JPG   100_1061.JPG  

Finished, already !

WOW! I can't believe it! I started, and finished my workbench in under 8 hours!

I didn't have to go buy more lumber, since I forgot I had another 2X4 in the shed, and I had a 48X96 sheet of 1/2" plywood leaning against the wall in the garage.

I have even jumped up on the table to insure how sturdy it is!

I have even used it to completely DIS-assemble my JGRO router. I needed to take it apart to use super glue on the threads of the adjustmet blocks, but until now i have not had the room I needed to take it apart. it was INCREDIBLE having that much room to work with!

I am amazed that I have been afraid of building my own workbench for years. I was always afraid of it not being sturdy enough, or it being yet another project I would not finish. This was one very simple, easy project that was able to be easily completed in a single day. I recommend it to anyone who needs more space!

I will atach some more pics of the bench. You will see I added to addition cross members under the table. Since my bench is 96" long, I added one at 32" and one at 64".

Any comments and/or questions are welcome.

Eddie

p.s.. if you look at my old workbench in the background, you will see the pieces of my JGRO router where I have disassembled it *TEMPORARILY*

We should get our bonus in March, so i can buy Mach3, and THEN I will be ready to go... assuming the super glue works for the adjustment blocks.. otherwise, i am considering purchasing some CNC made..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1066.JPG   100_1074.JPG   100_1075.JPG   100_1076.JPG