586,835 active members*
3,015 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

First time build (tornado cnc)

has anyone built this diy cnc. https://www.sites.google.com/site/cncdrawings/
    I am in the middle of building this and any in put would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

pics of build
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3568.jpg   IMG_3569.jpg   IMG_3570.jpg  

Looking very solid - Just had a look at that site - Love the animation - gives me some ideas for my build.
    Drakkn Custom Shop http://www.drakkncustomshop.co.uk

thank you drakkn, i was beginning to think this was a terrible design as no one responded. I cannot afford the linear rails so am using 1/4 with carriage bearings from cnc source and the z is made from what i had. thanks again bill

I just ordered the Ballscrews, Rails Stepper motors getting ready to build one. Looks like you have done a good job on the fabrication of your router.
    Hope I won"t have any problems in my build. The drawings are great. I am getting the "G" codes made to make the various parts on my Tormach 1100 mill..
    I hope you will keep us posted with your progress.

John

- - - Updated - - -

I just ordered the Ballscrews, Rails Stepper motors getting ready to build one. Looks like you have done a good job on the fabrication of your router.
    Hope I won"t have any problems in my build. The drawings are great. I am getting the "G" codes made to make the various parts on my Tormach 1100 mill..
    I hope you will keep us posted with your progress.

John

Hi john and drakkn. I have checked in lately. I have finished this build a few months ago. I also used 1/4 inch rail and cnc roller bearings. What I must say is to be sure to go with at least 3 inch pulleys for the raking cable as I had to replace the cable twice already. I purchased 3/16 fiber core cable and 3 inch bearings from McMaster and so far so good. I have also built a rotary axis in the meantime. I'll attach some pics possiby tomorrow

What is the material that you used to build the router? I have rectangular steel tubing, and will bolt it together then I will tack it with weld.
    The drawings does not say what material to use.
    Thx.

I have my machine almost completed. All of the Ball screws are in place, The bearing blocks are installed I had to drill some holes for the second time because I screwed up the first go around.
    The design is great Andrew is a very good engineer and I have to commend him on his design.
    I bolted all of my tubing instead of welding, the reason I don't know how to weld also did not want to take a chance in warping the tubes.
    Next comes the electronics. I have purchased all of the Steppers, Geco drives power supply from e-bay. I have a friend who is doing the wiring, I am just the helper...
    I will upload pictures of the project.