586,115 active members*
3,512 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

How to approach

I have a part to machine, just wondering which operation you guys would approach this with, my idea is to hold on the grooved end (which will be turned later, bottom of Pic2) and machine the whole body using 5 axis machining strategy. I looked at SWARF milling, but is totally different from what the name suggests.

We do have a 5 axis machine, and was looking whether anyone thinks its possible to do most of this in 1 hit. Would you stick to using parallel cuts, or try to rotate the part using Perpendicular to curve, when doing most of the roughing. For finishing I would use the basic profile and drilling ops.

Its only aluminium, I remember Brakeman saying to try and do most of certain parts, then leave a small tag after to machine off, but the grooves, what kind of operation can I use for that???

Inside the rectangular bore (pic1) i would again use a Sim 5 axis machining operation, but main thing Im looking for is the complete roughing, not sure if HSR would do the complete body, is it capable of rotating. Tooling wise, a 16mm Bull Nose I suppose.

pinguS
    Attached Files Attached Files