586,576 active members*
3,301 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > Rotary Table Index Motion Controller?

Rotary Table Index Motion Controller?

I'm looking to power an 8-inch rotary table with a handheld motion controller with a Nema-23 motor and have a few questions. Does anyone else manufacture an inexpensive standalone handheld motion controller besides the Sherline 87100 unit and what size or motor torque would be sufficient for an 8-inch size rotary table?

Motor size/torque depends on what you intend to do with the rotary table. Simply rotating to a discrete position is pretty light work. Pushing a 1 inch end mill 1 inch deep not so much.

Then there's the question of drive ratio, some are 1 degree input rev. per degree of table rotation some are 1 input rev. per 9 degrees of table rotation etc.

Years ago (1980's) a stand alone NC rotary table was $49,000.LOL I'm sure they're a lot less expensive now.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

You may find some info here if interested in DIY.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/open_s...ndexer-16.html
    As Richard mentioned, there are two types of control, Usually independent ones are index-to-position and generally have a brake applied when in position.
    The other is one that you want to do interpolated moves with other axes, this type would be integrated and controlled by the main controller.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

The 8-inch rotary table has a 90:1 gear reduction ratio and turns 4-degrees per revolution so not sure if a smaller size Nema-23 motor with 156 oz /in. of torque would work well that comes with the Sherline kit.

I understand there are couple different types of motion controllers that can operation in either a linier or rotary type axis and would need the use correct unit.

That's a great thread link on how to make your own motion controller but I would rather find something already assembled that can be purchased outright, unless someone has a complete parts list and source for all the items needed?

I would be primarily using the rotary table for indexing to position for drilling many small diameter holes with no brake applied and an occasional rotate type light cutting with 3/8-inch end mill. I would like to use a standalone type hand-held controller that doesn't need a separate PC based unit and if it had a jog wheel attached it would be even easier to operate.

This may not be exactly what you are looking for, but maybe it would do the trick:

DivisionMaster - Home