586,409 active members*
3,069 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Extra bracing for sagging table

Not sure if this is the right section but here is my problem.

I have a small DIY CNC router built from extruded aluminum. The table frame is about 28" x 25" inside dimensions. The extrusion on the front and back are 1010 8020. The sides are about 1030 (or 3010. They are about 1" x 2.5"). There is no support in the middle. I have 3/4" MDF down as my base with vacuum channels cut about .200 deep. On top of that I have 1/2" MDF with my grid and all applicable holes. The center of the table is sagging about .030. In order to keep costs down I was planning on getting more 1010 (can't go any deeper as the Y axis hardware would interfere) and running it either along the X (about 25") or Y axis (about 28") near the center. If I run it along the Y axis I can run thicker pieces as the very center is the only part of the Y axis that would have to clear.

Ideally I would just use 1/2" aluminum plate as my table but trying to keep costs at a minimum.

I had thought about getting .250 strips of steel and set them under the MDF but being flat steel I don't think it would offer as much support as say angle iron or extrusion.

Any other thoughts or suggestions on how to do this?

Thanks.

Why not add some extra pieces of extrusion to connect to your front and back rails? That would give more support to the table. Like two extra 25" pieces spaced equally in the 28" space.

Thanks Pack. That's actually what I was thinking of and asking about. Just wondering if that will be strong enough or if there is a better way to go about it. I have been keeping my eyes open for some extrusion on eBay.