586,144 active members*
3,453 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > V23 Need help with a gear (spline)

V23 Need help with a gear (spline)

Hey guys, first post. I am new to bobcad, had it for a while but am not very savy with drawing. I have a spline that I cant seem to figure out how to draw. The closest thing that bobcad has for a template is a gear. I have attached a picture of what I am trying to do. Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo.PNG  

Did you get an answer yet? Create a triangle from the walls of one of the teeth. Then rotate/copy 4, 360. Then rotate copy those 45 degrees. Then rotate copy those 22.5. Break all of those and clear out the middle. Extrude the "star". Create a circle at the inner diameter of the tooth and extrude that and boolean union it to the extruded star. Create a circle at the outer diameter of the tooth and create another one well outside of the part. Extrude those 2 deep enough to encase the part and boolean diff that from the part.

I appreciate the reply because no one has but what you said may as well be in Chinese. Haha! Ill give it a try though. I actually dont need those two circles shown, I just need to know how to draw the spline and edit it occasionaly for different parts.

Quote Originally Posted by jaredg View Post
    I appreciate the reply because no one has but what you said may as well be in Chinese. Haha! Ill give it a try though. I actually dont need those two circles shown, I just need to know how to draw the spline and edit it occasionaly for different parts.

I started a thread to find out what happened to
    http://cadcamtrainer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2
    I was thinking the tutorials Sorin had there are excellent for a beginner and one in particular"Wagon Wheel"would pretty much get you on your way,and you understand and learn alot,instead of just telling you how to do it.BUT the "Injuts"or whatever they are called ruined his site.Burr set you the steps out,use HELP,and ask more questions if you get stuck.

What I have done so far is create circles to the outside of the teeth and inside of the teeth. I am stuck because I dont understand what to do next.

Just keep an eye at the bottom left when doing such operations... It tells you what to do next. And remember when rotating... if you want 6 then copy # is 5... you already have one. What Burrman said is or seems alot... it's not in reality ... Just one step at a time.... Good luck
    Using CNC Masters Supra Knee Mill, 4 Axis vari speed. Bob Cad V-23, V26, Bob Art

Think you need to make the teeth.... Practice the rotate... make a new file and put a circle at say x 2" Then rotate it. If you want 6... you can do the math in the edit box... just type 360/6 and press enter. make 5 copies.... select the circle you made when prompted... and bam... play with that then try and tackle Burr's stuff.....
    Using CNC Masters Supra Knee Mill, 4 Axis vari speed. Bob Cad V-23, V26, Bob Art

Why would I want to rotate a circle?

To practice using the feature.... hypothetically it could be a drill hole... you make one and rotate... BC makes the rest.... What Burr told you is pretty complicated.... If you don't know how to use the feature... it will be that much worse

Burr is an ALL STAR movie maker.Do I git the popcorn a popping?

:banana::banana::banana:

I a crummy movie mogul.There are many ways to approach this.I have a hunch someone is going to show you shortly.I don't want to step in and confuse on how I would do it..Albeit Burr's way is probably better.A movie would way better show and help you understand,however I can show you,it will just take a bunch of pics to explain.I realize you are a beginner and I can relate to that Foreign language thing.

If I managed to make one of these shapes would I be able to easily edit the OD and ID of the teeth as well as their widths? Or would I start fresh every time? I make dies for bolts and nuts and these dimensions change regularly.

I have a question,are you doing this just for drawing purposes?If not is this a 4th axis indexing or EDM?

Here's a short example...

http://youtu.be/uranzGUFNQo

If I managed to make one of these shapes would I be able to easily edit the OD and ID of the teeth as well as their widths? Or would I start fresh every time? I make dies for bolts and nuts and these dimensions change regularly.
    Well, if the angles were always the same, you could save a template of the "star", then just recut/boolean with the 2 radius's for a new gear.

THis is for an actual job. That is a customers print. I am using this to create a wire EDM program for my HS70. Usually we just buy them on the outside and Id like to start making them.

You need 2D then.We can't see all the information given.Caution on one thing is I do not see anything indicating that the top and bottom of spline is arcs,looks to be lines.

what you said may as well be in Chinese.
    Ok:

你得到答案了嗎?創建的一個齒的壁從一個三角形。然後旋轉,360/複印4。然後複製這些45度旋轉。然後旋轉複製這些22.5。打破所有的人,並明確了中間。擠出的“明 星”。創建一個圓在牙齒的內徑和擠出和布爾工會它的擠出星級。創建一個圓的齒的外直徑,並創建另一個阱 的部分之外。擠出足夠深包住的部分和布爾值的差異,從部分

I see that even in Chinese on line N72 it still throws in that G17..... Just saying...

My gratitude for the YouTube video!

Damn Burr that was a hell of a nice video.... You ever concider doing more of them.... A little bit of talking wouldn't hurt..... you went a long pretty damn fast... obviously very skilled at working the program, but as fast as you went.... you would be great at doing some instructionals.... Hell I would have to pause to get the numbers off a scratch pad longer than the whole video you did....LOL great job Man...

Quote Originally Posted by Martin 007 View Post
    I see that even in Chinese on line N72 it still throws in that G17..... Just saying...
    Lol............ :stickpoke:

A little bit of talking wouldn't hurt
    I have heard this before. Maybe I should just talk no matter what.. I didnt want to just talk to hear myself. I usually save that for something I think needs explaining.

Just a simple command overview is kindof self explanatory?

Anyway............