586,140 active members*
4,771 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > V23 thread milling

V23 thread milling

I'm about to attempt to do some thread milling for the first time on my little benchtop mill. Before I go blowing up a brand new thread mill I thought I'd ask if thread milling works fine in V23 build 1812 or are there any quirks I should be looking out for. I did notice there is no roughing pass options and that I can only pick one hole at a time.

I use it quite often. A couple of things to watch, the first is that it defaults to left hand threads (at least on my system), so you want to watch that. Also, depending on your machine I choose arc moves instead of segment moves. Makes a much much shorter program.

As far as the roughing passes, I use the arc lead in with has a "Y" move before the start and at the end. I add and remove cutter comp to those lines and use that for multiple passes on steel and stainless steel. On aluminum and plastic, you can just cut at a slow feed rate and usually do it in one pass.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Thanks for the reply Mike. I'm going to be doing some blind hole, 10-32 threads on a Taig mill hence the need to thread mill versus tapping. This thread mill looks like it would snap if I just looked at it wrong.

Try Tapping and Threading Formulas there may be some useful information there.
    www.WebMachinist.Net
    The Ultimate Online Source for Machinist Related Stuff!