586,719 active members*
3,126 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Gecko 540 CNC Lathe Motors Stalling!

Gecko 540 CNC Lathe Motors Stalling!

Hello everyone, i have just finished a Grizzly 10x22 CNC conversion on my lathe. I had done 1 other conversion to a small Harbor Freight 7x10 using a TB6560 and some 140-ish oz/in steppers, and man is there no comparison. I have run into somewhat of a hickup, and was curious if anyone knew how to remedy it, or if someone else is having the same trouble.

I bought a kit with this Gecko540, and 320 Oz/in Motors. Im using a 12 amp power supply at 45 volts and running 2 axis (X,Z) with this setup.

My problem is that my motors will stall once in a while and i cant seem to figure it out.

I have set the machine from 30-300 IPM, and it runs smooth and strong with different acceleration settings etc. Once in a while the motor will simply stall (not miss steps, but completely stall). I thought it might be a binding problem or something else, so i removed the motors, and both axis's do it weather its hooked to the lathe or not. And like i said, the velocity doesnt seem to matter. I can run 10 long gcode files at 300 IPM with no problems, and then all of the sudden, i get a stall. Ill do the same at 50 IPM, and i eventually get a stall.

Just looking for some input.

The computer im using is a fresh install of WinXP, 2.2 GHZ AMD proc, and 1 gig of ram. Hope someone can help me out! Thanks, and i enjoy the vast knowledge on this forum!

Quote Originally Posted by coltac View Post
    Hello everyone, i have just finished a Grizzly 10x22 CNC conversion on my lathe. I had done 1 other conversion to a small Harbor Freight 7x10 using a TB6560 and some 140-ish oz/in steppers, and man is there no comparison. I have run into somewhat of a hickup, and was curious if anyone knew how to remedy it, or if someone else is having the same trouble.

I bought a kit with this Gecko540, and 320 Oz/in Motors. Im using a 12 amp power supply at 45 volts and running 2 axis (X,Z) with this setup.

My problem is that my motors will stall once in a while and i cant seem to figure it out.

I have set the machine from 30-300 IPM, and it runs smooth and strong with different acceleration settings etc. Once in a while the motor will simply stall (not miss steps, but completely stall). I thought it might be a binding problem or something else, so i removed the motors, and both axis's do it weather its hooked to the lathe or not. And like i said, the velocity doesnt seem to matter. I can run 10 long gcode files at 300 IPM with no problems, and then all of the sudden, i get a stall. Ill do the same at 50 IPM, and i eventually get a stall.

Just looking for some input.

The computer im using is a fresh install of WinXP, 2.2 GHZ AMD proc, and 1 gig of ram. Hope someone can help me out! Thanks, and i enjoy the vast knowledge on this forum!

Go to Machsupport and d/l the Optimization file. It sounds like some process in windows is causing the lost steps.
    300 IPM is outrageous especially on a small lathe light that. While learing keep the IPM down to no more than 50 IPM
    The last thing you want to do is crash your tool holder into the chuck.
    Also install a limit switch on the Z axis so that mach3 will stop the motor from running should you make a mistake in your G code.