587,008 active members*
3,615 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Used Tormach Mill - ?

Surely there must be a place where people are ready to trade up there Tormach mill. I am simple newbie but I have my heart set on finding an experienced Tormach for sale. I know this is not the place to buy/sell. I am simply asking for direction or suggestions. I do not want to go down the Chinese path and build my own cnc. I have already done that with my plasma table. I want to buy a rigid machine that may need TLC but has the CNC features. Everything I read says the Tormach mill is the one I want. The only problem is, I cannot find one close to me or within a price range I can afford. I don't mean to whine but surely someone out there knows someone who might be ready to trade up or sell their Tormach for the right price. I am not in a hurry and willing to help make some space in someone's shop. I am starting from ground zero, so I need all of the tools. I just want to buy the best I can. Thank you for listening...I feel better already.

Used Tormachs are rare, but they do exist. Keep your eyes open and be patient.
    Good luck!

Thank you, I will keep watching on eBay and CraigsList...surely someone will want to sell their Tormach and move up to something bigger, better, faster!

Just in case... where are you located?

Not saying that I'm looking to sell - as it would be a real pain getting this thing out of my basement. But I've got a Series I that hasn't seen much use at all. I've got a project coming up that I hope to need the mill for, but this isn't the first time that I've tried and just haven't had the time.

Dave

Dave, I live in Houston but I'm willing to drive anywhere if there is an opportunity. Again, I'm not in a rush but definitely willing to talk when the time is right. Actually I could fly up, and rent a bob-tail and drive back if it is worth it. Make sense?

This looks like a nice one for $5500, It's in Florida.

Tormach Personal CNC 1100

Kevin

Thank you Kevin. I responded to this add and I believe it is sold but just in case I sent another request. I agree it is a great price. Leigh

I was planning on getting a new 770 but found a 1100 series II on ebay. Has been a GREAT machine.

Like tbaker2500 said "be patient"

I have scene a couple show up on MN Craigslist. The bad news is that they only show up about once every two years and are usually sold within a few days. The last one (1100) went for about 6500, but had lots of nice tooling.

Robert

I confirmed the other listing has already sold. Ok, I will be patient, for a little while... Maybe if I offered to come and remove their old Tormach mill from their shop they would consider selling it. Btw, what are the key differences between Series I, II, and III?

I couldn't quite find anything that describes all the differences, but I believe they're mostly spindle power and control, and stepper motors and drives. I'm sure there's lots of other smaller improvements, though. Have a look through the Tormach store as they sell upgrade kits for most of the major changes that have occurred, so when you're looking for a used machine, you can take that into account on how much you'd be willing to spend

Thank you Santos, I will keep my fingers crossed something good comes up. It sounds like I should be able to upgrade the used machine to Series III steppers if necessary.

The early series I has 2.1" less x axis travel and the table is 2.5" shorter.

Phil

It sounds like a series I is significantly different than the series III. Great information to know. I hope to find one someday (series I, II, or III) for the right price. I have two in college so I have to be careful. My third one heads to college in the fall. yikes. I need to turn this hobby into a money making machine venture somehow. Have you guys found ways to make any money with your Tormach CNC's?

My Series I is S/N 119, so fairly early, but it has he 18" X travel that later mills had.

For the most part a Series I can be upgraded to Series III at fairly low cost.

My Series 1 is S/N 37 and has 15.9" x axis travel. I don't know when they made the switch but I do remember that it was not long after I received mine.

Phil

PS: Other than that the main differences are the VFD upgrade and the stepper-motor upgrade.

Ok, here is question for you who already own a Tormach. If you had it all to do over again, would you still buy a Tormach? Is it worth the money? Since I am buying my first milling machine I want to buy the right one. Actually, I would like to buy your experienced Tormach.

It all depends on what you want to do with it, really.
    But to answer your question, yes and yes

It's worth every penny, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. In fact, if all goes well, I'll get an 1100 in another year or two.

For me, holding .001" in X,Y an Z is worth every penny I've paid for the machine.

Wade

Quote Originally Posted by MooreLei View Post
    Ok, here is question for you who already own a Tormach. If you had it all to do over again, would you still buy a Tormach? Is it worth the money? Since I am buying my first milling machine I want to buy the right one. Actually, I would like to buy your experienced Tormach.
    They've only improved since I bought mine 6+ years ago, so you can put me down in the "would still buy a Tormach" category.

Page 1 of 2 12