586,635 active members*
3,434 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    You don't know me from a bar of soap, nor what knowledge I have or what safety precautions I take.
    You just jump to conclusions because I lack the ability to use your jargon just like you lack the ability to use MY language.
    A sparky would always be my last resort if nobody else could/would give me the advice I was asking for.
    I didn't ask how to hardwire the inverter into the switchboard, I simply asked how to connect the power cord to the inverter.
    I actually saw an electronics person in Cairns yesterday and he had never seen one of these nor knew what to do with it.
    And yes, I do have the FT-C series manual but it did not give me the answer to my question "where is the "T" terminal on MY FT3000 inverter."
    A simple answer like "you do not need the "T" terminal for single phase" would have allowed me to work the rest out without even plugging the inverter in.
    How many people here do you think have built their own CNC machines and worked it out via help from others?
    Wolffie

Was that Russell?

Whoa up trigger...

It is because I don't know you from a bar of soap that I need to make sure you don't kill yourself, especially from advice provided by me. I need to make sure that terminology is consistent so that what I mean is what you read and understand and do. I need red to mean red, not pink or purple.
    Hardwired or plugged, getting it wrong can still lead to death, and it might not be yours. It could be visitors, kids, etc. Just take it as a warning in the spirit it was intended.

Anyway, if you don't want any more help, just say.

Moving right along.........

If you can provide the model number off the inverter then we can check if it is supposed to be single or three phase.
    According to the manual. if you have a model number FTA1Lxxxx2XB then the unit is 220V. This means it is single phase and 220V (170-240V), and is suitable for connection to single phase in australia (pluggable or hardwired).
    If you have a model number FTA3Lxxxx4XB (3phase, 400V) or FTA1Lxxxx4XB (single phase, 400V), then it is not suitable for connection to a single phase outlet because you only have 240V from a single phase outlet.

Units that are suitable for connection to single phase only require R and S to be connected since a single phase bridge rectifier only has 2 wires on the AC side. Because there are only 2 wires on the AC side, there is no need for a T connection. This appears to be the case in your inverter.

When you complete your installation by connecting the spindle, make sure that the earth to the spindle motor is connected to the same earth on your supply cable. You really should also check that you have an earth on the spindle. If you have a 3 pin plug at the spindle, then the earthing of the motor is poor. If you have a 4 pin plug, then it is possible that an earth is connected, but probably not. You should ensure that the earth pin in the plug is connected to the frame of the spindle motor (you might need to remove the end cap to check this). Just because it is new out of China, doesn't necessarily mean that it up to the same standards that you would expect to see in Aus. Neither of my chinese spindle motors has had an earth connected, and the single best improvement I can make to them it to ensure that they are electrically safe (now, while they are new and working, and 6 months down the track when they burn out/water ingress/plug failure/bearing failure etc). I do this be replacing the plug and making sure that an earth is present and connected, all they way back to the building's main earth.

Paul.

Talking Problem solvered

Got some excellent service from the manufacturers of Xinfutai "Redsail Cutters"
    They were not able to provide a manual in English, so instead they made a video, just for me, on how to set the inverter up for the CNC.

Now, I would say:

THAT IS GOOD SERVICE.

Cheers
    Wolffie

If there is a moral to this story, I guess it is always deal with either English speaking suppliers, or at least ones that can supply a comprehensive manual in the desired language, also good support is a big plus.
    Most of the Electrical/Electronic equipment coming out of the R.O.C. is pitiful, especially the safety aspect.
    My findings anyway, so far anyway!.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Is It Grounded!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolffie View Post
    Got some excellent service from the manufacturers of Xinfutai "Redsail Cutters"
    They were not able to provide a manual in English, so instead they made a video, just for me, on how to set the inverter up for the CNC.

Now, I would say:

THAT IS GOOD SERVICE.

Cheers
    Wolffie
    And just to follow the excellent advice of Paul..
    IS IT GROUNDED, to the frame AND the motor case.

We are just concerned for your safety, and wouldn't reply here unless to help. My original signature (tongue in cheek) is just as my son suggested a year ago. Is it out of order?
    Cheers
    Neil

Yes it is, made for 3 wire connection.

If there is a moral to this story, I guess it is always deal with either English speaking suppliers, or at least ones that can supply a comprehensive manual in the desired language, also good support is a big plus.
    So true but not always possible, especially when the supplier is not the manufacturer and your only option is buying online.
    My problem was that the only manual available in English was for a different (older) series of inverter and the one for mine has not been translated yet.
    Most of the Electrical/Electronic equipment coming out of the R.O.C. is pitiful, especially the safety aspect.
    Again, you don't have much of a choice these days but this one actually came from Hong Kong and their written English was excellent.

Cheers
    Wolffie

Quote Originally Posted by Wolffie View Post
    Yes it is, made for 3 wire connection.
    Just to confirm.
    On the input side of your inverter, you should have 3 wires (active, neutral and earth). On the output side of your inverter you should have 4 wires (R, S, T, and earth). Ensure that the 2 earths are connected together and also to the earth terminal on the inverter.

Then check the plug on the spindle. If it only has 3 pins, there is NO EARTH connected to the spindle. It is has 4 pins, then there MIGHT be an earth connected to the spindle. At the very least you should do a continuity check (reading of very low ohms with an ohm-meter) between the earth pin in the plug and the outer housing of the motor. If it is a high reading, the earth is not connected and there is no earth connected.

If there is no earth connected to the spindle and you get an electrical fault in the spindle motor (eg it burns out), then the housing of the motor can become active (240V). Depending on your router setup, this could liven the whole table or bits and pieces (depending on what is electrically connected).

If this occurs you will have a time bomb waiting to electrocute someone.

Please also note that regardless of what electrical protection is on the incoming side of your inverter, there is NO ELECTRICAL PROTECTION on the output side of the inverter (except for overload).

Paul

I believe the OUTPUT side us U,V and W.

There have been so many previous posts here on problems with Huanyang products that show a particular down side to the product, that I would think deter anyone looking for a VFD, it is not as though the market is limited?
    Pay a few more $$'s and get a fully supported and reliable product.
    Of all the makes of VFD's I have used over the years, they have all had a ground terminal, and if any ground leakage is detected on the load side, the VFD shuts down immediately.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Neil,
    You are correct with regards to the output being labeled U,V,W - not R,S,T.

Paul

There have been so many previous posts here on problems with Huanyang products that show a particular down side to the product, that I would think deter anyone looking for a VFD, it is not as though the market is limited?
    Al.

I have seen all those posts too that's why I got worried about a manual.
    It seems like everybody and his dog has a Huanyang inverter and nobody has even heard about XINFUTAI.
    That's also why I was pointing out the good service from Redsail Cutters who make/market XINFUTAI inverters, not Huanyang.
    Every email I sent them have been responded to courteously and immediately.
    I was particularly impressed that they made me a video just to make sure I understood their instructions completely :idea:
    Laser Engraver - Engraving Laser Cutting Machine, Vinyl cutter, Cutting plotter by Redsail
    Just a side note:
    They are apparently in Canada too
    Just to confirm.
    On the input side of your inverter, you should have 3 wires (active, neutral and earth). On the output side of your inverter you should have 4 wires (R, S, T, and earth). Ensure that the 2 earths are connected together and also to the earth terminal on the inverter.

Then check the plug on the spindle. If it only has 3 pins, there is NO EARTH connected to the spindle. It is has 4 pins, then there MIGHT be an earth connected to the spindle. At the very least you should do a continuity check (reading of very low ohms with an ohm-meter) between the earth pin in the plug and the outer housing of the motor. If it is a high reading, the earth is not connected and there is no earth connected.

Yes, I was reading a post where the earth on a Huanyang inverter was not connected, so I opened the cap and checked, all 4 wires were connected. There was no plug on the wire, it was ready to be connected to the inverter.
    Xinfutai asked for a photo of the spindle wiring to ensure the sparky had connected them correctly.
    I would buy from them again anytime.
    Cheers
    Wolffie

laser111 Guest
    The professional laser machine manufacturer in China, Hanzlaser will be your good partner whenever you needed. Where can I find a better laser machine?It

neilw20 Guest
    Your laser ad can not help the VFD the problem? Read the first article. You can help wolffie? (Or learning problem)
    Advertising / new products in the appropriate position in the forum.
    does this help..?
    你的激光廣告不能幫助VFD問題?閱讀第一篇文章。你能幫助wolffie嗎?(或學習他的問 題)
    請把廣告/新產品,在本次論壇上適當的位置。

[QUOTE=neilw20;1245577]Your laser ad can not help the VFD the problem? Read the first article. You can help wolffie? (Or learning problem)
    Advertising / new products in the appropriate position in the forum.
    does this help..?

Thanks for concerns, I register yesterday and would like to learn and help everyone's problem. It will be my great honor to know you.

Quote Originally Posted by bushwakka View Post
    Gents,

That was far from a lecture.
    Sometimes what you want and what you need are different things.

The advice to get an electrician got you the results you were after. The drive is now working, and nobody was hurt.

My post contains lots of advice and information if you read it, and also contains a warning that you need to make sure you know what you are doing, as you could kill someone. If you are a long way from electricians, then you are also a long trip for the ambulance when you need a defibrillator.

If you want a manual in english, try this
    www.cnc3axis.com/FT-H2000(english).pdf

I found it after conducting a google search for "XINFUTAI inverter", first post goes to the inverter, and the text underneath has a link to a manual in english.

Paul.
    Hi friends,

I have a 200v 1.5kw XINFUTAI inverter which came with the machine. Now I want to adjust motor speed through its analog input.

The link above is dead. Anybody who has this XINFUTAI pdf manual, please upload it again.

Thank you so much.

Weerasak

Re: Problem solvered

Hello.
    I have the same problems as you had....is it possible that i could see the video+

best regards
    Per Tore

Re: Someone help me please

Going back to the original question: just how is the input MEANT to be wired up?

There are some clues. There are 3 terminals, labeled R, S & T. The T terminal is NOT implemented - no screw. Why should that be earth?

That makes me think that the R, S & T are meant to be the three wires of a 3-phase connection. That terminology does get used a bit. In which case, you are meant to hang this unit across two out of three wires of a 3-phase connection. In other words, this is NOT a 240 V unit. In that case, Earth has to be found elsewhere, and be damn careful as to what you try to earth. I strongly suspect the entire unit is floating at up to 360 VAC! This would not be the first unit designed like this, and some of them are even AMERICAN-designed!

Yes, I have one of the American ones. Yes, it works very well, but the control input is floating at ~160 V. (AC or DC ? Not sure.) If you accidentally touch either output and earth at the same time, you get a hell of a kick and the earth leakage breaker kicks in. That takes out the entire CNC and PC on my system. Oh well, safety.

Why is it designed like this? Because with 240 VAC you get one DC rail voltage, but going across 2 phase lines gives you a higher DC voltage to play with. More volts => lower current out of the primary. Easier on the MOSFET switches.

How can you tell? Well, show me the label on the filter caps. If the voltage rating is 400 VDC or less, I am wrong. If it is 600 VDC or more, it can handle it.

Why did this confuse the two sparks? Well, this is not something a 'domestic' spark is ever likely to encounter. They might have briefly heard of it at school, but maybe that was a long time ago.

So where to hang the Earth connection? Well, I am sorry to have to say this, but it is quite possible the thing itself cannot be really earthed in the conventional sense. Earth the metal case around it, and earth the metal armoured duct used to go to the motor. But note: the motor may be floating!

Cheers
    Roger

Page 2 of 2 12