586,645 active members*
2,873 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Boxford 125 tcl

Hello i,ve cracked the way around the boxford software for my lathe using a bbc computer
    first it works but my orginal 5 1/4 has a bad sector on it any one got a good copy i can get
    plus does any one have a lead layout from the 1 mz bus to to 125 tcl please

Hi Have you managed to get to get some software for your boxford yet?

Regards
    michael

boxford 125

no i have not got a copy yet have you got a disk

Boxford

Hi I'va had a 125TCL and a 160VMC sitting in my garage for 5 years. Iwas just about to put them on ebay when there was an auction for the 'Teachsoft' software and BBC computer. Got everything but I think there is a couple of disks missing. Which ones do you need and do you have any disks?

Michael

give me a ring would be the best way 0777 33 24238

Boxford TCL 125

Hi Skippy

Just a quick one. Did you get any joy from the guy who was selling the BBC with software and stepper motors?

Cheers

Michael

I have just aquired a Boxford 125 TCL in very good condition I don't think it has ever been used. But allass it has just a ribbon cable hanging out the side. I gather they used a BBC computer and where does the dongle come into it all, and what protocol is the input, any help would be much appreciated. It appears to function correctly in manual mode.
    Perhaps I should strip it out and install 'hobbycnc.com' Lpt port to stepper control.

Have you made any progress with this, I too have a 125 TCL in school and would like to get it to work with a PC.

What software could be used to drive it? How is it connected up?

Cheers

Smile Boxford 125 TCL

Quote Originally Posted by jase1979 View Post
    Have you made any progress with this, I too have a 125 TCL in school and would like to get it to work with a PC.

What software could be used to drive it? How is it connected up?

Cheers
    :wee: I'm not sure yet, spindle Motor control SCR module was blown. should have new one from RS Components tomorrow. Thought I should get it to GO first before experimenting further. All the manual jog controls seem to work ok.
    theory is it should be driven from a BBC printer port, this isn't a million mile different to a PC parallel print LPT1 port, so next job make a simple Parallel breakout board like this one at http://www.routoutcnc.com/quickconnect.htm
    Then if all I have read is true I should be able to use almost any software ie. Coreldraw, Autocad, after all you are just sending HPGL code to a print port.
    and if this doesn't work, I do already have Bobcad Ver20 which they asure me will work, but if it doesn't I may use the steppers on a small lathe 'cause a tail stock would be very desireable then use Hobby co stepper driver kit, infact I already down loaded freeware software for it. see http://www.hobbycnc.com/driverboards.php
    I don't know If any of this helps. but I will let you know how I get on
    Cheers for now :cheers:
    Ken

Mach3 to drive it
    have a look on YOUTUBE Boxfords running on Mach3
    BR

Quote Originally Posted by kenpovey View Post
    :wee:

theory is it should be driven from a BBC printer port, this isn't a million mile different to a PC parallel print LPT1 port, so next job make a simple Parallel breakout board

Unfortunately the 1MHz bus is quite different

Then if all I have read is true I should be able to use almost any software ie. Coreldraw, Autocad, after all you are just sending HPGL code to a print port.
    and if this doesn't work, I do already have Bobcad Ver20 which they asure me will work, but if it doesn't I may use the steppers on a small lathe 'cause a tail stock would be very desireable then use Hobby co stepper driver kit, infact I already down loaded freeware software for it.

The stepper drivers are easy to access, just need a step & direction signal.

Unfortunately the onboard Z80 has all the smart firmware for spindle motor speed & sync, as well as the stepper moves.

The BBC floppy is copy protected by swapping a couple of tracks and hiding critical boot data out of readable area. Anyway, getting old floppy drives is hard these days. I used to read/write double density floppies on a PC, and also run a BBC emulator on a PC for writing programs. It was nice to watch the tool path as you typed in a line.

However, the software is so bad & buggy, it is better to use 3rd party lathe drive software and connect up. Wire up the steppers & manual interface to the parralel port. Also DAC spindle control and hook up the spindle opto sensors for feedback and position sensing for threading.

I have even drilled the spindle sensor disc on a friend's lathe for quadrature encoding for better thread cutting tolerance.

Ken
    When I get more time later this year, I will convert another couple in my garage. I am considering using Mach 3 software.

Cheers,

Rob

Hi guys,
    Here it is the very best solution, take a look..this is excelent!!

Bye! Aro/

If you are using Floppy Disk on your equipment/machine you know that the Floppy´s are not a safe way to save your programs, and also they are close to disappear of the market.

FlexiDriveS4

No more Floppy Disk´s !

Increase the reliability of your equipment.
    Allow to save in a safety way your files and programs.
    Reduce faults and down times in your process.

Features
    •Replace 3 ½ floppy drives on any equipment / machine.
    •Developed for old industrial equipment that are not obsolete and still in production.
    •CNC Machines, Electromedicine, Textile machines, Industrial Systems, Robotsetc.
    •Easy to install / Easy to Use.
    •SD / microSD / SDHC / MMC memory's supported.
    •USB Card reader included!
    •No drivers or additional software needed.
    •Full Plug&Play.
    •Aluminium Cabinet prepared for Industrial conditions.

If you need more info abut our product please contact us:

www.floppyemulator.com

[email protected]