586,551 active members*
3,562 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > I converted my Bosch Router to ER20 Collets. Results with video!

I converted my Bosch Router to ER20 Collets. Results with video!

Recently, I was trying to source some small endmills for my machine. With the 1/2" and 1/4" collets that come with the router, you would have to find a tapered solution or a small endmill with a 1/4" shank. If you thumb through the MSC catalogue, for example, you will find a huge assortment of small endmills with an 1/8" shank but precious few with a 1/4" shank. The other concern is run-out, if you were able to hold micro tools with your router, the run-out would likely snap them off anyway.

I had always been a bit jealous of the people with Porter Cable routers as they had the option of using the Think & Tinker collet system early on. A couple years ago, they got around to making them for the Bosch router and I finally got a hold of a set!

Here are the results!

Looking forward to trying it out soon!

:cheers:

Brian

Simply WOW !!!

Really amazing ... I was thinking about this collet few weeks ago, for the same router !!!

Thank you !!!

I have these on my Porter Cable 7518, Hitachi M12VC, and most recently my DeWalt DWP611 routers. You will not want to work without these once you use them.
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Hi Brian, thanks for the video.

Maybe you mentioned on the video and I missed it, but which grade of collets did you buy? I have a Hitachi M12VC ready for my machine, and I intend on purchasing this kit down the road, but I'm not sure which to go for.

Quote Originally Posted by Shonky View Post
    Hi Brian, thanks for the video.

Maybe you mentioned on the video and I missed it, but which grade of collets did you buy? I have a Hitachi M12VC ready for my machine, and I intend on purchasing this kit down the road, but I'm not sure which to go for.
    Thanks for the comments!

I got the Precision Grade ones. Chances are I'd notice the missing $90 more than .0003" of extra accuracy. Although it seems as though it might be better than that on the new router. I don't have the tools necessary to measure down to .0001"

sweet... grats!
    my first..."Big Ape" CNCRP 2448 Build Log