586,080 active members*
3,691 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > OK GUYS NEED SOME ADVICE ON A GANTRY!!
Page 1 of 9 123

OK GUYS NEED SOME ADVICE ON A GANTRY!!

As luck may have it I have a guy that wants to buy my TM 2x2. This was very good timing as I'm getting ready to upgrade to a 4'x4' machine anyway. I just got the metal home to build a water/router table. I have enough 2x4x.120 to put together my 4x4. Now my plan was to trade my 2' gantry in and get TM's 4' gantry and use my table as the rails instead of using TM's rails. I am going to mount it with linear rail and use either ball screw or rack & pinion to drive it. I have started looking for other gantry options now that I might sell my machine outright instead of trading it in.

Now I was wondering if you guys have a better gantry in mind? I have looked at the Velox 50" gantry but I really know nothing about them. They look like good units and they come with one of their Z axis units. Other than those do you guys have any other ideas for a good gantry? It needs to be under $1500 which seems doable to me. The Velox is $1250 including the Z axis.

Thanks much!!

Nobody has any advice on a gantry?

My $.02

Before I spent that sort of money I sure would want to know more about it, like what is the gantry made from. If it were just 1/2" alum plate, it would be skeptical of its rigidity. 50" is quite a span. Also a 50" 5/8" lead screw? You can't tell me that would not get a little whip action going.

Just some thoughts.

Rick

Those are the same thoughts that are running through my head!! So I need some help from you guys!! Would I be better building my own from some 3"x6" extruded aluminum? I was also wondering if rack & pinion would be a better option for 50" span? Like you said before I spend any money I want to weigh my options heavily!! I'm almost positive that profile rail would be better than linear rod even though it's supported rod it's only 16mm. Any and all opinions are welcome and appreciated!

A link to the Velox gantry may help...I can't seem to find anything googling.

I myself would build one

:cheers:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_wood_router_project_log/101936-5_axis_build_full_steam.html

I didn't try real hard did I

Desktop CNC Router Machines - CNC DIY Parts and CNC Router Kits

I think you could build something much better.......go on... have a go
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_wood_router_project_log/101936-5_axis_build_full_steam.html

Thank you Sir. I can't believe I forgot a link! I'm leaning more and more towards building one. How do my parts choices sound so far?

1. 3"x6" extruded aluminum...........or do I want steel?

2. Profile rail for both the X and Y?

3. Rack and Pinion drive instead of screw.

Here is the start of my table that I'm going to use for my X axis rails. The frame and legs are 2x4x.120 steel. The crossbars are 2x2x.120 steel. I have not completed it yet. This is my first 3D drawing I have ever done so It's taking me a while. I spent a few hours on the casters. Like I said any input is appreciated!!

P.S. I know the casters don't have much to do with it but I wanted to show off my first drawing LOL.

If you have the means of working with steel, I'd go that route...if you can keep weight down or power up.

Congrats on your first 3d model...just a hint...for parts like castors and other common parts try hereFree 3D Models, Free CAD Models

will save you heaps of time!

Got to go....I'll be back, have fun

Well that figures LOL oh well I'll use it now that I know it's there but it was fun doing my own.

I am wanting it to be on the heavier side so it will hold up to routing but I want it to be able to run in the 150-200 ipm range at the same time. Do you think that's doable? I'm good with working either aluminum or steel. I just want the best gantry I can get!

quick and dirty estimate of cncrouterparts gantry.

3060 x 61" = $135 8020surpluis ebay
    (2x) 2.5 x 0.25 x 61" CRS = $60 total onlinemetals
    (5x) cncrp gantry rail clamp $8.75 = $43.75
    (2x) cncrp extended bearings $33.5 = $67
    cncrp gear rack 52" = $50
    (5x) cncrp rack clamps $6 = $30
    nema 23 rack pinion drive $89.75
    high Z plate $49.75

gantry (minus z axis) total = 525.25 + shipping (est $150??)

that is without motors or Z axis and you would have to figure out how to mount the gantry extrusion to your machine.

They do use cold roll flat bar and skate bearings, but if you set it up nice, they run really smooth and fast. definitely 500 ipm rapids, and probably up to 200 ipm cutting soft material.

I would have to say that all/or most of Velox parts are purchased from K2 CNC. Or maybe its the same company...

Here is the address both websites list for their biz.
    1746 W Katella Ave #6, Orange, CA 92867 to 1643 W Orange Grove Ave, Orange, CA 92868 - Google Maps

I'm pleased with the Z axis and router mount I purchased from K2 and looks identical to the pictures on Velox's site.

Are you going to be using lockable casters or some type of drop-down locking feet?

Perhaps my imagination, but the legs seem long below the lower cross-bars. I would put the cross-bars down by the feet, and maybe some diagonal braces to reduce racking.

Does the CNC sit on the table frame, or is the table frame contribute to the machine's rigidity?
    Paul Rowntree
    Vectric Gadgets, WarpDriver, StandingWave and Topo available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

Quote Originally Posted by stealthshooter View Post
    Now I was wondering if you guys have a better gantry in mind? I have looked at the Velox 50" gantry but I really know nothing about them. They look like good units and they come with one of their Z axis units. Other than those do you guys have any other ideas for a good gantry? It needs to be under $1500 which seems doable to me. The Velox is $1250 including the Z axis.

Thanks much!!
    Man, that's a healthy budget for a gantry.
    Why not get 8020 3060 extrusion or even some of the big Bosch Rextooth extrusion for your gantry? Lots of DIY builds done using that.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulRowntree View Post
    Are you going to be using lockable casters or some type of drop-down locking feet?

Perhaps my imagination, but the legs seem long below the lower cross-bars. I would put the cross-bars down by the feet, and maybe some diagonal braces to reduce racking.

Does the CNC sit on the table frame, or is the table frame contribute to the machine's rigidity?

I am going to put a trailer jack with a flat foot on all 4 corners of the table. This way I can take the weight off of the casters and it will also make it easy to level. My back doesn't take much bending over to lengthen and shorten those screw feet much any more.

The table is going to be what I attach my gear rack and profile rail to so yes the table will be part of the machine. The drawing I posted is not finished yet so I'm not done placing everything exactly where I want it. My wife is actually going to be the one using it the most so I may have to shorten the legs a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by jj_cncguy View Post
    Man, that's a healthy budget for a gantry.
    Why not get 8020 3060 extrusion or even some of the big Bosch Rextooth extrusion for your gantry? Lots of DIY builds done using that.
    That's one of the options I mentioned......well I guess 3"x6" 80/20. I was just wondering if the extrusion would be better or steel. The extrusion offers more flexibility as far as mounting stuff to it. Looks like I'm going to be spending about $900 on profile rail. 4 rails at 1600mm long and 8 trucks. DANG!!

http://www.automation-overstock.com/...W30CB1UxxxxZ1H

Would 2x4 extrusion be stiff enough or would you guys use 3x6?

for the stiffest gantry, I'd get a estimation from a machine shop to machine two trenches/rebates into heavy wall (3/8"+) steel rhs along with holes to fasten hiwin rail.

Hell I'd even consider moving table fixed gantry on a machine this size!

What is you budget by the way?
    no point throwing around all these grand ideas if you only have the cash for skate bearing build:cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by casophylip View Post
    I would put the cross-bars down by the feet
    I'm pretty sure the best place is somewhere close to mid way. If you put it down at the feet you have a lot of unsupported space between the braces and table top. Like I said I'm most likely going to have to shorten the legs so my wife can use it comfortably so the cross bars will be in the correct place. I'll also be using the braces as a shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by stealthshooter View Post
    That's one of the options I mentioned......well I guess 3"x6" 80/20. I was just wondering if the extrusion would be better or steel. The extrusion offers more flexibility as far as mounting stuff to it. Looks like I'm going to be spending about $900 on profile rail. 4 rails at 1600mm long and 8 trucks. DANG!!

automation products from Automation Overstock: AGW30CB1UxxxxZ1H, Combo, 30mm U Rail, 4 Bolt Flange Block, Specify Length, AG 30 Rail/Block Combos

Well I maybe a little prejudice since I am building an 8020 machine. From my readings here, it seems the two big problems using steel is connecting it to stuff and connecting stuff to it, and getting a straight flat piece.

There is bolting it together with epoxy in between or welding it, which tends to introduce warping.

So yes, 8020 and connectors (don't overlook these, they're not cheap) are expensive, but it bolts together real nice and as a general rule it is flat and straight. And it is easy to bolt things to it.

Rick

Well I took the plunge and ordered an 80" piece of 3x6 extrusion. I also ordered 6 rails and 12 bearing blocks. Spent about half my budget already LOL

Page 1 of 9 123