586,974 active members*
4,337 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > OK GUYS NEED SOME ADVICE ON A GANTRY!!

Hybrid View

My $.02

Before I spent that sort of money I sure would want to know more about it, like what is the gantry made from. If it were just 1/2" alum plate, it would be skeptical of its rigidity. 50" is quite a span. Also a 50" 5/8" lead screw? You can't tell me that would not get a little whip action going.

Just some thoughts.

Rick

Those are the same thoughts that are running through my head!! So I need some help from you guys!! Would I be better building my own from some 3"x6" extruded aluminum? I was also wondering if rack & pinion would be a better option for 50" span? Like you said before I spend any money I want to weigh my options heavily!! I'm almost positive that profile rail would be better than linear rod even though it's supported rod it's only 16mm. Any and all opinions are welcome and appreciated!

A link to the Velox gantry may help...I can't seem to find anything googling.

I myself would build one

:cheers:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_wood_router_project_log/101936-5_axis_build_full_steam.html

I didn't try real hard did I

Desktop CNC Router Machines - CNC DIY Parts and CNC Router Kits

I think you could build something much better.......go on... have a go
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_wood_router_project_log/101936-5_axis_build_full_steam.html

Thank you Sir. I can't believe I forgot a link! I'm leaning more and more towards building one. How do my parts choices sound so far?

1. 3"x6" extruded aluminum...........or do I want steel?

2. Profile rail for both the X and Y?

3. Rack and Pinion drive instead of screw.

Here is the start of my table that I'm going to use for my X axis rails. The frame and legs are 2x4x.120 steel. The crossbars are 2x2x.120 steel. I have not completed it yet. This is my first 3D drawing I have ever done so It's taking me a while. I spent a few hours on the casters. Like I said any input is appreciated!!

P.S. I know the casters don't have much to do with it but I wanted to show off my first drawing LOL.

If you have the means of working with steel, I'd go that route...if you can keep weight down or power up.

Congrats on your first 3d model...just a hint...for parts like castors and other common parts try hereFree 3D Models, Free CAD Models

will save you heaps of time!

Got to go....I'll be back, have fun

Well that figures LOL oh well I'll use it now that I know it's there but it was fun doing my own.

I am wanting it to be on the heavier side so it will hold up to routing but I want it to be able to run in the 150-200 ipm range at the same time. Do you think that's doable? I'm good with working either aluminum or steel. I just want the best gantry I can get!