587,051 active members*
3,581 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Micro drill adapters - alignment problems

Micro drill adapters - alignment problems

Greetings. I am experiencing lots of problems with runout on a micro drill adapter (sensitive drill chuck, slip chuck). My unit has an Albrecht keyless chuck mounted via a J0 taper to the finger fed adapter. Excellent feel for small diameter drills, but I find each tool change requires tapping the chuck around on the mount taper to eliminate runnout. My shop partner has a nearly identical unit from a different manufacturer that behaves in the same way. Am I expecting too much or is there some secret for repeatable concentricity between tool changes. (Running tool in a new R-8 adaptor on a Bridgeport with pristine spindle bore.) Thanks in adavnce

My point of view is this, if it is an imported drill adapter they likely screwed up the taper. You could also have a bad chuck.

Frankly after my experiences with chepa Chinese live centers with morse tapers I'm not sure if it is possible for the Chinese to get any taper correct.! Granted I tried buying at the low end but these tapers are like 100 year old technology, you would think they could get that right.

The interesting thing is that they got the tapers right in my 9x20 lathe so I'm not sure what the issue is with the tooling. Youu might want to try recutting the Jacobs taper yourself. in the end though you will likely have to make your own adapter.

Dave