586,438 active members*
4,111 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Mentors & Apprentice Locator > Looking for a mentor in the Plano/Dallas area

Looking for a mentor in the Plano/Dallas area

Probably a long shot, and probably not a typical "apprentice" candidate, although you never know. I'm retiring from the Navy after 20 years and even at 43, I am still amazed at what cool things a machinist can turn out.

So, having the opportunity to reinvent myself at this point in my life, I was really wanting to do something with my hands and actually make something. After 20 years of "management and leadership", I'd really like to create something tangible.

I have no experience on any kind of machining equipment, but am drug free, honest, hard working, educated and mature. I can send a resume to any potential mentors or provide character references. I do consider myself mechanically inclined.

Anyway, if by some slim chance there is someone out there who could be my mentor, I'd absolutely jump at the chance.

R/
    Dustin

I do not have any machines or a shop, but I can probably help you out with some education basics and software questions you might have.

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    I do not have any machines or a shop, but I can probably help you out with some education basics and software questions you might have.
    Wow, that was a quick response...all the more reason I'm happy as hell to have chosen TX as my permanent home (actually closing on my house on Monday, yea!)! I would be grateful for any information/knowledge/skill that you'd be willing to share with me. I got a few months left here in Japan until I retire, but when I get to Plano permanently, may I contact you then? Again, thanks for the generous offer!

I'm a member of Dallas Makerspace. It's a typical hackerspace/community workshop. We don't have a large machining group, but some of us are trying to grow that interest area. Please look us up when you hit town and we'll compare notes.

Quote Originally Posted by konish View Post
    Wow, that was a quick response...all the more reason I'm happy as hell to have chosen TX as my permanent home (actually closing on my house on Monday, yea!)! I would be grateful for any information/knowledge/skill that you'd be willing to share with me. I got a few months left here in Japan until I retire, but when I get to Plano permanently, may I contact you then? Again, thanks for the generous offer!
    Sure. Let me know.

What part of town are you in Dustin? I am not in a position to mentor anyone yet, just now started the Mill/Lathe program at Mountain View College, it appears to be an excellent program and if your DD214 has Honarable on it there are grants that pay 100%.

Welcome to Texas, Dustin.

I would be delighted to help you out, I have a lathe, milling machine and a CNC router.
    I spent 40+ years designing computer/electronics things, but picked up the "machinist" bug along the way.

Now that I'm retired I have plenty of time for such activities.

If that offer is open to anybody cnewb I would like to take you up on it.