586,855 active members*
2,515 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Load V.24 on Win 7 or 8?

Load V.24 on Win 7 or 8?

Hi there, I am a newbie and have BobCAD v.24, never installed (long story) but I have order an iMac and want to run v.24 on Windows but don't know whether I should order Win 7 or 8. Will be based on Parallel.

If you are very knowledgeable about Parallel I am interested in how to set up the RAM for it - as in the max RAM I can allocate. I am going to max out the iMac with 32 Gig.

If you have other suggestions I am open to them.

Thank you.

Jon

V24 is a 32 bit program... Nothing more than 4 (3.16) will do....

I dont know anything about Parallels.

I've heard win8 is not good.... thats all i have....
    Using CNC Masters Supra Knee Mill, 4 Axis vari speed. Bob Cad V-23, V26, Bob Art

Martin thanks for the Win 8 information. I think I'll get Win 7.

BurrMan, being a newbie I don't understand the "4", is that 4 gig of RAM? Been a long time since I have used Windows. Good to know that V24 is a 32 bit program too. Thanks for the reply.

"V24 is a 32 bit program... Nothing more than 4 (3.16) will do...."

Oh BTW, Parallel is the "program" for the MAC that allows them to run Windows. Apparently one can set the amount of RAM for that environment. There are several of these type programs including bootcamp which comes with the MAC OS. Parallel allows switching between the Windows environment and the MAC OS environment without having to reboot while bootcamp requires a reboot.

"4 gigs of ram"....... A 32 bit OS cant access more than 4 gigs of ram. 2 gigs system, 2 gigs app. Mods can be made to give 1 gig system, 3 apps.

Parallels is an "emulation" environment. Not recommended for 3d cad. You will be relying on parallels to act like a video card. Some may have done it, but it's not recomended. Bootcamp is a boot manager. Mucho preferred. Actually running windows.

BurrMan thanks for making all that clear.

It is a bit confusing to me because the specs I read about installing V24 was that 8 Gig of RAM was required in addition to some video specs. Wonder what that was about.

At any rate I appreciate the clarification. Thank you.

I'll try Boot Camp.

Quote Originally Posted by JoninCO View Post

It is a bit confusing to me because the specs I read about installing V24 was that 8 Gig of RAM was required in addition to some video specs. Wonder what that was about.

I'll try Boot Camp.
    V24 lists 1 gig minimum and 2 recommended:

http://www.bobcad.com/wp-content/med...ted-Manual.pdf

V25 lists 1 gig minimum and 6 recommended (V25 has a 64 bit version):

http://www.bobcad.com/wp-content/upl...TI_10-2-12.pdf

Note the V25 manual specifically discusses running BobCad under BootCamp.... You will loose support for this configuration.

Thanks for the links to the manuals. The specs I got was also from BobCad. I can't find it just now but I remember thinking that 8 Gigs was a lot of RAM and the video drivers had to be up to date as well. I remember thinking that was a bit of a hassle.

But I don't doubt what you say.

I am going to try to run BobCAD on the iMac anyway because I have already spent the money. If it works it would save me a lot of hassle but I also realize that there might be some hassle if I have problems and no support for it.

I appreciate your efforts in running down this information for me and sharing your knowledge and wisdom.

Jon

Windows 8 will not be fun for BobCAD. I've been running betas since last year and it does ok for tablets, but will be much worse than 7 for your uses. I don't know if you can set up Parallels to run a 64-bit OS, but it would probably be worthwhile to set it up like that just incase you do want to move to V25 which does support 64-bit (finally!)

Shred - that is nice to know. I will do as you recommend in regards to WIN 7 and Parallel.

I am with you on the 64 bit thing. I don't know that I'll upgrade yet as I haven't even installed V24 and it has been a while since I got it. Things should go faster when I get the iMac which is a better computer than I have been limping along with.

I run Bobcad v25 (and v24 prior) on a macbook pro via parallels and Win 7. It works fine for me but can't guarantee it would for you. Bootcamp is definitely the best way but for graphical purposes but of course you won't be able to switch back and forth from the mac OS to Win OS with one key stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by ss_again View Post
    I run Bobcad v25 (and v24 prior) on a macbook pro via parallels and Win 7. It works fine for me but can't guarantee it would for you. Bootcamp is definitely the best way but for graphical purposes but of course you won't be able to switch back and forth from the mac OS to Win OS with one key stroke.
    Thanks for the information. Nice to know that someone is doing this. I won't begrudge the time or effort it takes to switch back and forth.

Just a quick question and a request. How much RAM should I allocate for Bootcamp. Or is that not a factor.

And the request is for any other tips and tricks you can give me.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Jon