586,403 active members*
2,455 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Slightly confused (as usual)

Hi,

I've just run a fly-cutter and a 3/8 end mill over a ~2 inch cube of aluminium to tidy it up. Both left a ridge which I could feel with my finger along the edge of their cut. "No problem", I thought, this sounds like the mill needing to be trammed. I haven't done that since I bought it, and it has been hauled around a bit. In fact, I'm not sure if it has ever been trammed.

So I grab my DTI and some ground blocks, set them up to measure the x-axis... and it appears to be perfect. I do the same for y and again it is perfect.

Now, I'm slightly suspicious I'm doing something wrong, but I can't see what. I've watched NYCCNCs tramming video on YouTube, and I am doing exactly the same thing. My DTI doesn't have a very long arm, so that probably isn't helping. But if tram appears to be correct within a very small figure - is that likely after moving the machine twice? Wouldn't the move plus a different floor throw it off by twisting the stand slightly?

Something else I've just noticed too - if I turn the jog wheel full-speed +/- on the x-axis, occasionally it moves at a slower rate before speeding up. The slow rate seems to be the "second-fastest" speed. There isn't an intermediate acceleration, it just goes second-fastest, then after 1/2 second or so goes to full speed like it should. Has anyone else seen this behaviour? Edit - I strongly suspect the new USB hub I'm using is the cause of this!

Luke

Edit - I'm going to keep the DTI in the spindle, and run it up the side of a square on the table, and see if that tells me anything about the spindle-table relationship. I'll also run the DTI along the table surface and watch what happens.

Your not moving your table during tramming are you?

Quote Originally Posted by BAMCNC.COM View Post
    Your not moving your table during tramming are you?
    Nope.

The DTI didn't move when I traversed X and Y.

Testing with the square was a little bit less precise. I tried it three times and got different results.

I might be over-thinking this. Maybe the cube just moved in the vice. I'm going to mill two more sides, once along X and once along Y, and see how that looks.

I really cranked down the vice this time and it has made all the difference!

Well that's easier! Glad to hear it.

Don't move the table if you're checking the tram of the head. Move the spindle to a spot approximately in the center of the table on the "Y" axis. Put a indicator in the spindle. Run the "Z" axis dorn until you get a zero in you indicator and then rotate the spindle by hand.

If you move the X or Y axis, that won't tell you anything.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post

If you move the X or Y axis, that won't tell you anything.
    Steve,
    Indicating on the table surface and moving the X or Y axis should reveal if the table surface is not parallel to the table dovetail surfaces. Unless I have misunderstood what you meant.
    Bevin

Quote Originally Posted by bevinp View Post
    Steve,
    Indicating on the table surface and moving the X or Y axis should reveal if the table surface is not parallel to the table dovetail surfaces. Unless I have misunderstood what you meant.
    Bevin
    It will tell you if the X and Y are parallel to the ways, but it won't tell you if the Z axis is perpendicular to the X and Y axis.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.