587,143 active members*
5,524 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

By single pass, I mean that the sockets are the width of the tool. Making them any wider makes it a multi pass. I was going to say that going to multi pass automatically doubles the time, but I just realized that it doesn't, until the socket is more than 2x the tool diameter.

As you alluded to, tearout is the bigger issue here. The visible side of the vertical piece is mounted against the horizontal piece, which should nearly eliminate all tearout.

I would have thought that making the initial alignment simple and bulletproof and letting the CNC figure out the precision cuts would be an advantage. For me, that would mean using a straight reference to line up the top or bottom edges of the pieces exactly,
    You'll be able to do this if you cut them separately. A spacer will only be required when cutting them as a set.
    While using a CNC can greatly speed up the dovetail process, it's still time consuming, and for those cutting a lot of them, the faster it cuts, the better.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Ger21 stated: Certain combinations of stock width and tool size can result in a condition where gouging would occur. In the image below, the B dimension must always be smaller than the A dimension to prevent gouging when cutting in a single pass.

RESPONSE: Using the Jointech dovetail system, a user is limited to certain width of lumber if they want to have the dovetails cut symmetrically in the piece of stock, though there are formulas/methods to adjust the cuts for stock that are not these "symmetrical cut" sizes.

Could you do that, that is, limit the size of the stock so the stock would not be gouged.

I will scan in some of the pages from the Jointech instructions and send them to you so you can see what I am talking about.

Another idea: Is there some way you can make it so that the dovetails woudl not necessarily be evenly spaced? This woudl make it so the gouging woudl not be a worry, and it woudl make it so the dovetails did not look so mechanical.

As for the set up time and using spacers being too time consuming: I have used a dedicated dovetailing machine with pneumatic clamps for holding the stock ... faster than the Jointech system and faster than a Leigh dovetailing jig ... and definitely faster than cutting them by hand.

All that being said, it is not alway speed with the CNC that matters, there is also the repeatability and accuracy. There seems to be a bit of a trade off here between the three.. and I for one will take accuracy over speed, especially when you start taking about gluing and clamping the drawers up. The glue forces speed on you as it sets up relatively quickly, and if the fit is difficult or comes out not square or leave a drawer that need a lot of filling and sanding, speed means little then.

I suggest thinking about the whole process and the CNC cutting the dovetails as part of that process, and not just thinking about the CNC cutting isolated from the making the final product.