586,835 active members*
2,731 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

PCNC 770 Metal Cutting

Hi, I've been looking around for a while on the 1100 but due to my basement door being 31" I would have to disassemble it. I've watch the PCNC 1100 on youtube, read about it's ability here and for the most part many are happy.

I am backing down to order a 770 since it's easier to move. I have no back ground and it seems like an exspensive equiment to break.

My question is, how would the 770 handle steel for custom engine mounts? I'va also ready if you are expecting 770 for milling steel, think again.

Thank you.

Hello,

You can mill steel on almost any milling machine. I've milled steel on a Sherline 2000. While I use my 770 for mainly brass, it will mill steel just fine.

Regards,

Brian

Hi BNX,

I don't own a 770, but own the 1100, Firstly I agree with "rif" you can machine steel on any machine that is designed to machine steel. Of course you can't machine steel with a plastic machine, having said that, you would need to think more about how fast you want to machine the steel. A light machine will only take light cuts due to rigitity, and a machine with limited low spindle speed will only run small diameter cutters sucessfully. If you want to machine down deep in a pocket long small tools are difficult to keep rigid. Also consider the steel type you want to machine, the tougher the steel, often the slower the spindle rpm and more rigidity you need. If you plan to make things for a hobby it doesn't really matter how long the job takes to complete, its your own time, but if you want to make a buck or two it is nice to get the machining done a little quicker.

Cheers

I want the 1100 due to it's extra weight. I looked over the step for disassemble and reassemble. I think I should be fine. I would hate to upgrade in the future or regret not getting the bigger machine.

Thank you.

I just bought a PCNC 1100. Pretty excited as I would have to learn and mess things up. I think it would be fun.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BNX View Post
    Hi, I've been looking around for a while on the 1100 but due to my basement door being 31" I would have to disassemble it. I've watch the PCNC 1100 on youtube, read about it's ability here and for the most part many are happy.

I am backing down to order a 770 since it's easier to move. I have no back ground and it seems like an exspensive equiment to break.

My question is, how would the 770 handle steel for custom engine mounts? I'va also ready if you are expecting 770 for milling steel, think again.

Thank you.
    I just cut some 3/4 steel plate today on my 770 the cut was .040 DOC at 20 ipm 1000rpm with a HSS 3/8 end mill and coolant of course. Oh the cut was 8 inch long 5/8 deep. It did not load down one bit.

Carl Boe