586,275 active members*
3,310 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

how to use less decimal places

Hi
    i am using a CAD CAM package to make iso files and have that we are getting too finer movements in the Z axis, which is leading to the over heating on larger jobs, the solution i seek is can i edit on the Z lines of code to be only 1 place of decimal and the currant 3, is there a way to do this with say note Pad ?

This is the tolerance field in your cam program. set to 0.1 instead of 0.001

even still, shouldn't cause overheating i wouldn't think.

Thanks for the reply Alan, as far as i can work out if I change the set up in the CAM software it will change all axis which i would prefur not to do. the Z code on some jobs is very over the top compaired to the other axis which is why i am thinking of editing it. the over heating only happened a few times after running for more than 12 hours.

regards Mark

Don't believe this can be done in notepad.

One way is bring data into Excel, multiply the Z figures column by 10. Convert to integer and then divide by 10.

There's a program called Gawk32 or something similar which is good for this type problem. May need some computer skills to work it.

Sorry, I misunderstood

I tried to find some way to do it using find and replace with wildcards, but it doesnt seem like it'd work.

good luck.

Hi,

I am using an old version of Cimco Edit 4.32 which has an option to change all value's in a complete nc-program, X, Y, Z, F, S and more, also decimal numbers.
    When you want to multiply (scale), divide, plus or minus, you can change a lot.
    The latest version is 6 and there is a 30-day trial version available.
    The option "Simple math functions" allows you to change your Z-value's like you request.

Greetings from
    The Netherlands.

Look for an image on the next link:
    http://www.cimco.com/docs/cimco_edit...CFuncTransform

Hallo Mark,
    in the cadcam definitions for each machining cycle, you need to specify an approuch and retract distance, it make a big difference when make both these settings the same (sensible) distance.