586,383 active members*
3,545 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > lathe coolant/cutting fluid ?

lathe coolant/cutting fluid ?

I am in the process of building a upgraded (for me) lathe headstock with a larger center bore of the spindle to do some deep hole drilling. I have never had a power fluid delivery system, in the past I just use a oilier can with cutting fluid but now I am thinking I want/need a constant flow of cutting oil (not a mister) which should also cool and remove chips.

When I look up store bought lathe coolant systems they all reffed to "coolant" (obvious with the name I know) but I am thinking I don't want "coolant" but rather cutting oil is this way of thinking wrong should be regular oil since that much has to get sprayed over my lathe bed ? Will these coolant systems pump cutting fluid instead of coolant fluid ?

If you're going to use HSS tools, use a good cutting oil, like for screw machines.
    If you're going to use carbide, then use a water soluble.
    If you use water soluble as a flood coolant, then be prepared to keep your coolant meticulously clean, and clean the lathe frequently to deal with the ensuing rust.

If you don't want the mess of either, don't use either.

most of what tooling I have is HSS but have some carbide . The rust issue even with the "rust inhibitor" in the coolant products is one thing I was wanting to avoid I would rather use OIL and not have that extra worry.

Will those store bought coolant systems pump the cutting oil if not what is the proper name of a system that will so I know what to look for?

I've used Graymills pumps with both... the oil just moves a lot slower. A mechanical impeller pump should handle either, question of whether the motor will stall... That said, call the mfg and ask!

ok thanks