586,126 active members*
3,072 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Fanuc 10T on Mori Seiki SL-1A RS232 Problem

Question Fanuc 10T on Mori Seiki SL-1A RS232 Problem

Having a problem with communication via RS232 - have a 25 pin to 25 pin setup as follows:

PC Control
    1 -------------------1
    2--------------------3
    3--------------------2
    4-- --4
    | |
    5-- --5

6-- --6
    | |
    8-- --8
    | |
    20- --20

7 -----------------7

Parameter Settings:

Settings Page:

Punch Code: 0
    Inpurt Device: Can set for 1 or 2 get a SR830 DR OFF (2) error
    Output Device: Can set for 1 or 2 get a SR830 DR OFF (2) error

Set for anything else I get a "parameter setting in error" alarm

0000 = 00000000
    **5001 = 1 (when Input device =1)
    **5002 =1 (when Input Device =2)

**Dont understand what is being said here, assume this has something to do with the ports.

5110 = 3
    5111= 2
    5112 = 10

The "SR830 DR OFF (2)" error occurs immediately upon pressing the control "READ" button. (or "PUNCH" as the case may be) appreciate it if someone could clue me in as to what parameters mean, sure it has something to do with Parity, start bits, data bits, stop bits or handshaking method and what could be causing this problem.

Put an RS232 tester on the control what I see is the TD (Transmit Data) LED is on, RD (Received Data) is off, RTS (Ready to Send) and CTS (Clear to Send) are lit, seems normal, Press "READ" and Red LED for pin 20 lights up.

Appreciate whatever help you can give me....is there maybe some reason that the control is not giving the PC ample time to transmit the program? Is there a parameter setting for that?

Regards;
    Norm Pepe

Quote Originally Posted by nnpepe View Post
    Having a problem with communication via RS232 - have a 25 pin to 25 pin setup as follows:

PC Control
    1 -------------------1
    2--------------------3
    3--------------------2
    4-- --4
    | |
    5-- --5

6-- --6
    | |
    8-- --8
    | |
    20- --20

7 -----------------7

Parameter Settings:

Settings Page:

Punch Code: 0
    Inpurt Device: Can set for 1 or 2 get a SR830 DR OFF (2) error
    Output Device: Can set for 1 or 2 get a SR830 DR OFF (2) error

Set for anything else I get a "parameter setting in error" alarm

0000 = 00000000
    **5001 = 1 (when Input device =1)
    **5002 =1 (when Input Device =2)

**Dont understand what is being said here, assume this has something to do with the ports.

5110 = 3
    5111= 2
    5112 = 10

The "SR830 DR OFF (2)" error occurs immediately upon pressing the control "READ" button. (or "PUNCH" as the case may be) appreciate it if someone could clue me in as to what parameters mean, sure it has something to do with Parity, start bits, data bits, stop bits or handshaking method and what could be causing this problem.

Put an RS232 tester on the control what I see is the TD (Transmit Data) LED is on, RD (Received Data) is off, RTS (Ready to Send) and CTS (Clear to Send) are lit, seems normal, Press "READ" and Red LED for pin 20 lights up.

Appreciate whatever help you can give me....is there maybe some reason that the control is not giving the PC ample time to transmit the program? Is there a parameter setting for that?

Regards;
    Norm Pepe
    Hi Norm,

Set the following control parameters as listed below:

Bit 0 = 0
    Bit 1 = 1
    Bit 2 = 0
    Bit 3 = 0 (Depends on how your PC software handles EOB)
    Bit 4 = 0

#0020 = 1
    #0021 = 1
    #0022 = 1
    #0023 = 1
    #5001 = 3
    #5110 = 3
    #5111 = 2
    #5112 = Baud Rate (10 = 4800 Starting Point)

Machine Control Set Page Settings
    I/O = 1
    ISO Format = 1

Are you sure that you're not confusing a 25 pin Female Parallel port as a 25 pin Serial Port? Its been many years since DB25 Serial connectors have been supplied with PCs as standard. Usually, you will only have a 9 pin Serial connector.

Your cable configuration is OK except that by connecting Protective Ground (pin 1) at both ends, you run the chance of a Ground Loop. A Ground Loop can occur when any two devices are grounded in Different Places, or if one device is not grounded well enough. For example, you may experience a ground loop when you connect a PC and a CNC control together with a serial data cable, if the CNC machine has a ground stake driven through the shop floor, and your Personal Computer is grounded to the ac wall socket, or if one device is not grounded well enough. The ground loop occurs when there is a different electrical potential between the Grounds of the two devices. This results in an electrical current being conducted through the data cable. and can burn out the IC chips that send and receive the RS232 serial signals, if the difference in potential is greater than about 30 volts. Accordingly, unless good grounding to the same ground can be assured for both devices, its recommended to ground the shield at the CNC end only.

Although you have the control lines bridged at both ends, bridging of these is only required at the control end. However, having them bridged at both end is OK. If the cable your using is shielded, connect pin 1 at the control end to the shield trace and leave the PC end disconnected.

The error DR off error that you're experiencing is caused by pin 6 at the control end not being in a logic 1 state. This state is asserted by pin 20 at the control. Check with a Multi metre that a voltage of around 12 volts exists between pin 20 and 7 at the control end. If not, a work around is to connect pins 6 and 8 at the control end to pin 20 of a DB25 connector, or pin 4 of a DB9 connector at the PC end.

The PC software should be configured as follows:

Handshake Method = Xon Xoff
    Data Bits = 7
    Stop Bits = 2
    Parity Bit = Even
    Baud Rate = 4800 (or to whatever is set at the control)

Regards,

Bill