586,384 active members*
3,636 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Mastercam Won't read my .dwg files

Mastercam Won't read my .dwg files

Hello again,

Here's my latest problem I have mastercam mx6 and recently upgraded to AutoCad 2013 with a new computer. I now have a problem where Mastercam will no longer read my Autocad .dwg/.dxf files.

I tried saving them as an older version with no luck. Mastercam has no problem opening my solidworks files and old Mastercam files but won't open any Autocad.

I have tried regenerating and I did a screen>statistics and it shows up as no entities. so somehow the files info is not being recognized.

Help Please! work is piling up!!

Thanks,

Dale

I am absolutely certain the problem is with the AutoCad output. What happens when you output to DXF instead of DWG? AutoCad started screwing around with their own DWG standards way back in the 90's and they have never stopped. One of the reasons I dislike them as a company and a software maker. If there is a standard for a file format, stick with it. Otherwise, there never was a standard.

I have had 100% success in converting DXF and DWG between types & versions with A9tech, nice little free program.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I don't think it's the Autocad

The reason I don't think it's the AutoCad is I can open up the .dwg and .dxf in Mastercam on a different computer with no problems.

On the computer with the problems, what is the MasterCam setting for converting files?

Is one running X6 and the other running X6 mu2 by chance?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Problem Solved! (Sort of anyway!!)

I found that Mastercam does not support AutoCad 2013 yet. The real weird part is if I draw something in 2013 and then save it down as a 2010 it won't open. But if I draw something and save it immediatly as 2010 it will open it.

The other nice little glitch is once I open a 2013 AutoCad file if goofs up Mastercam so it won't read any Autocad files till I restart Mastercam and then it will reset itself.

Also where are the settings for converting files in Mastercam?

And I am in fact running X6 without the MU1 or MU2 patches right now.

Thanks Everyone,

Dale

Dale, up your seat to MU2 there some well needed fixs.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Any chance you can share a 2013 DWG with me like to test this in X7?
    Cadcam

Ive used autocad for over 10 years, then i had to get mastercam
    once i learned to draw in mastercam it was over for autocad, we'll never buy another copy of it. drawing in mastercam is way better