586,567 active members*
3,653 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Bought pulley stock, but the machinists can't guarantee the concentricity of the bore
Page 4 of 4 234
    Pretty pathetic this is still going on. I could have already cut the darn things on my dads (chinese) grizzly lathe to spec and went back to cutting parts for the radial engine. It just ain't a hard job. Hell, even he bought a collet chuck set up, and it's just a hobby machine.

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Pretty pathetic this is still going on. I could have already cut the darn things on my dads (chinese) grizzly lathe to spec and went back to cutting parts for the radial engine. It just ain't a hard job. Hell, even he bought a collet chuck set up, and it's just a hobby machine.
    hush, you are just a machinist!! this is a super duper office environment educated complicated issue!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shane123 View Post
    hush, you are just a machinist!! this is a super duper office environment educated complicated issue!!
    I'm no machinist, at least not since about '92! I can't stand these new engineers. Total waste of skin. Won't even look at the problem any longer, just give me numbers, I'll stick them in this screen and give you the solution. Ok, here are your new earthquake brackets, have the shop make them, the +/- one micro inch tolerance is easy for them to do. Then you ask why such a tight tolerance on brackets, and "that's what the computer wanted". No hands on any longer. I remember going to Stanford years ago, and the professor (old German guy) said every mechanical engineer had to pass his machining class, and he was not easy on them. I work with some of the older guys, they come up with an idea, share that idea with you, and ask for your opinion on what to change to help them make good, cost effective parts.

I'm no machinist, at least not since about '92! I can't stand these new engineers. Total waste of skin. Won't even look at the problem any longer, just give me numbers, I'll stick them in this screen and give you the solution. Ok, here are your new earthquake brackets, have the shop make them, the +/- one micro inch tolerance is easy for them to do. Then you ask why such a tight tolerance on brackets, and "that's what the computer wanted". No hands on any longer. I remember going to Stanford years ago, and the professor (old German guy) said every mechanical engineer had to pass his machining class, and he was not easy on them. I work with some of the older guys, they come up with an idea, share that idea with you, and ask for your opinion on what to change to help them make good, cost effective parts.
    i miss practical engineers........ seems like all we get now is "it should work, it worked on my computer"........

Quote Originally Posted by Delw View Post
    theres your problem right there if your not paying enough to have someone cut jaws than you might as well us a drill and file and do it on a park bench.
    you guys at school arent all that bright what the heck do they teach you there.

if your using the school cnc surely you can buy your own jaws for a small job. your going to pay a "REAL" machine shop more than the cost of jaws to even look at it.
    Got a quote from a shop who is supposed to have all the required tools, collet chucks cnc's ...etc.

He was simply trying to avoid the job and then, said it'd be expensive to bore 10mm it's small/difficult ...blah. it'd cost you $25 per pulley.

$25 to cut a 22mm dia. 14mm wide pulley and bore it 10mm...the whole pulley stock costs only $20...if that shop had to make one(pulley stock) including 6061T6 aluminum it'd cost $200.

Bought separately the bored/ready to use pulleys cost approx $5 each, would just need to hacksaw the mounting flange to make it a jokey pulley.

I'm after a different approach, if it fails I'll order them separately.

Thanks !
    cnc2.

I'm glad I skipped to the end... 20 bucks... at that you could have had every shop in town take a wack at it... I've tipped waitresses more than 20 bucks.... Oh well ... Merry Christmas....
    Using CNC Masters Supra Knee Mill, 4 Axis vari speed. Bob Cad V-23, V26, Bob Art

Hey! At least this thread gave me about 6 weeks of entertainment. There is a bright side to almost anything.

I...... Total waste of skin..........
    A Wookie fan?????

They are also 'floppy bags of mostly water' if you can identify that reference.

P.S. Merry Christmas
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Keep in mind i read page one and this page... I now think the new teacher of the XXXX community machine shop class.... has had 6 weeks of material to teach with... LOL Its all good though... Some gained knowledge.. and some entertainment...
    It is hard to believe... To save 20 bucks in material.... How much fuel was burned to hit all these shops... if you only drink water.. from a bottle durring such trips... thats more than the material...LOL
    I look forward to seeing the finished product....
    Using CNC Masters Supra Knee Mill, 4 Axis vari speed. Bob Cad V-23, V26, Bob Art

Quote Originally Posted by Delw View Post
    theres your problem right there if your not paying enough to have someone cut jaws than you might as well us a drill and file and do it on a park bench.
    you guys at school arent all that bright what the heck do they teach you there.
    I find it problematic that the guy running the school machine shop couldn't find a way to do this. Really is he not a machinist or at least somewhat familiar with the craft? I'm mean really soft jaws or collets would be nice but you don't even need them to solve this problem.
    if your using the school cnc surely you can buy your own jaws for a small job. your going to pay a "REAL" machine shop more than the cost of jaws to even look at it.
    This might be the result of another modern management foobar. That is the desire to throw out every bit of material that isn't nailed down, designated for a project or otherwise justified. Thus I'm willing to bet that machine shop has close to zero material stock, no scrap box and probably very clean seldom used machines. I have to fight this mentality all the time at work and frankly it sucks badly. The excuse is if we need it in the future we will order it. Of course the future comes and they wonder why a machine will be down for weeks waiting on a part or better yet have to reengineer an instrument because hey that technology doesn't exist anymore and you threw out our backups. Frankly I'm about to the point where working for a small company, with an intelligent owner, makes more sense than working with the flunkies that pass as corporate management these days.

Page 4 of 4 234