586,379 active members*
2,511 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

boss on a slanted surface

How can I cnc a cylinder boss on a slanted surface on a cube.
    it is a regular cube except one side is 85 degrees instead of 90 degrees. And there is a cylindrical boss perpendicular to the slanted surface?

how can I do that on a XYZ CNC? Or I better get a 4 axis?
    -Andrew

060120-0839 EST USA

XXF:

You have not provided enough information on your constraints.

Do you need to work in one setup?
    Can you use a 5 deg wedge?
    Can you use a rotary table?
    Can you have a 5 deg angle on side of boss? etc.
    What other operations on that 85 deg side, like a hole perpendicular to the 85 deg surface?
    etc.

I guess I have use a wedge or rotary table and build some fixture.
    thanks
    Andrew

Andrew,
    You may only need a vise and simple protractor
    The angle is exaggerated here for reference but just place block in the center of vice, as deep as machining will allow, rotate to correct angle checking with a good quality protractor and tighten vise real tight.

Whether or not this would be a good set up depends on the material being cut and sufficient surface area for clamping pressure. among others factors,

This is not advice only another option.

Ken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Block.jpg  

Shucks Ken, I was going to sell him my patent-pending Haas column hinge c/w turnbuckle. You know those big allen capscrews around the column at the back of the machine?
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

What's up with this,
    You told me when I bought your last one that there weren't anymore

Oh, that one Those are obsolete now. But I have new one now, you like very much, I sell you new one

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

my real purpose is to automated as much as possible. Not having to manually rotate it just for the boss. Need to make 100s of them. I guess I have to get a 4th axis for that?

Well, for hundreds of them, I'd say go for the 4th axis, Andrew. You only live once

Oh, that one Those are obsolete now. But I have new one now, you like very much, I sell you new one

LOL Murray, that was funny to me, still laughing

Andrew,
    4th Axis are expensive, software to run them can be expensive, configuring the machine with the electronics is expensive and you still need to place the stock in the appropriate fixture.
    A simple V cradle fixture machined at the right angle set at the bottom of the vise to set your stock in would make for a fast repeat .

However:
    I did see a very clean Haas mini-mill, 4th axis ready for $36k, you better hurry, I may purchase it
    http://www.emachinetool.com/usedcnc/...roductID=12513

damn't Murray, I am trying to get some work done here and Oh, that one Those are obsolete now. But I have new one now, you like very much, I sell you new one pops back into my head and I break out in a laugh

Andrew,
    This is a example on what I am talking about. Parts elevated so you can see the whole picture.

Some sort of stop would need to be set in place where the machined fixture will always go up against. With the fixture at the stop and the stock to be machined in place and vise tightened then this is the position where you would set your X,Y,Z work offsets.

After all the tool lengths are set, test piece machined and you are satisfied with the results then it is a simple matter of putting a new piece of stock in the fixture, tighten vise and push cycle start.

Piece of cake, of course you have to create the toolpaths first or you can just hire me

MAN, getting to a 1000 post's is hard work
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Block-Fixture.jpg  

I you don't want to make a fixture, take a look at

http://www.sparro.com/parasine.htm

$36k? Geez, that is a lot of money!!! Need to find me a second job. Can I get those with several K in some auctions?

If by several K you mean 36 then, yes you can.

Did you get my PM from yesterday?
    I was giving some hints and suggestions in it about cost .
    Ken

Yah, I saw it. I guess to be able to do something serious, I need to have a lathe and a BP
    CNCed. For a budget under 10K, I guess I have to go with BP CNCed without ATC. But 4th axis is definitely good to have. I will watch out for these.

forget all that other stuff ----make yourself some aluminum soft jaws with the appropriate angle--- if the part is wider than the hole spread make taller or wider jaws
    because the jaw has a nest milled in it you will have no need for stops of any kind once the location has been established. ive made thousands of all sorts of parts with fixturing just like this (for the cost of making the jaws )
    if you want the parts made in one setup ,, use these jaws on a second vise and run op1 and op 2 in the same cycle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jaw example.jpg  
    DONT MIND MY SPELLING ... IM JUST A MASHINIST