586,266 active members*
4,324 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

building a simulation model

Im working on a custom 5axis cnc project it is my first
    In my research i read about avoiding collisions by using a cnc simulation option like the one in ICam but i dont know whats the process of building a custom cnc model and adding it to the cam simulation soft ware and what program to build w ith

Can any body help

Any help please or replys
    on line tutorials
    You tube vids
    Books i could buy
    Any thing plz

I dont know what type of 3d file format your program would like to use for your machine model. You can build a model in a cad program or you could build it in a 3d modeling program, either way you'll probably be needing to do some sort of format conversion.
    I think sketchup is free, and I believe there are some free cad programs as well.

thanks for the replay but thats not what i ment ...

lets rephrase i built a 3d stl file of my custom built 5 axis machine and i need to verify it as a cnc virtual model for the cam postprocessing software or the g-code simulator how can i do that ? and add it to the list of virtual machins models on the software

and i need a recomendation for an easy g-code postprocessor that avoids collision like the icam vitual machin and Predator Virtual CNC cheap and newbie friendly

You might get more help if you could explain what you want to do in complete, coherent sentences. This isn't a chat room.

Edit: My apologies if English is a second language for you, I was just assuming..

Ok, a 5 axis CNC project.......you are designing a CNC mill with 5 axis capability and want to make sure you don't bump into any parts of the machine at each axis maximum travel....right?

So you are looking for a program that will take your design and move the various designed axis's to reach all corners of the work area with a simulated machine on the computer screen and see where they interfere without having to manually measure and project the components against one another....right?

At the same time you want to see what the maximum job size you can do in the smallest machine footprint with each design change and combination of axis areas.....right?

That's a tall order if you are a budget concious DIY'er and not involved in industry where the funding for such a program might be available.

If that is what you want, I think we all can profit by your experience when you find the program....just let us know what it is and how much it'll cost you.

Being an armchair engineer, I'd love to have an app for my Ipad (or PC) so that I can see the dream machine work while extending the job pattern until it meets my requirement, all without even making a model or mock up to test the practicallity of the design.

This is in the realms of something like Sim City, where you place the objects on a blank stage and let them interact as they would do in the real world....maybe the Sim Machine in the Sim Workshop is a reality we don't know about.

I think they probably use this in the new car design industry......it might even be rocket science at NASA....hmmmmmm.

I can imagine that if you have the machine existing in the cloud you won't ever have to actually make it as you can "make" it with the most expensive and exotic materials available and use it for a hypothetical job simulation that fullfills the need without having the expense of making it, then sell the perfected design to the Chinese knowing that any requirement in material change can instantly be monitored for feasibilty and/or cost cutting.
    Ian.

Not sure if this will do the job for you: Autodesk ForceEffect motion simulator for iPad

It is a powerful tool and free but I found it hard to use. I would rather like something for the PC like WorkingModel but don't know of anything affordable. They do have educational pricing, though.

if you have a five axis simulator.. then you can try to define a tool together with the head or spindle like a formtool....
    and program will calculate ,

IF and i say if program prepared for formtools.. if your program prepared only for ballendmills then you have no option only mastercam or another high end programs

it is not a tetris that you download and start to play with.. i have serious doubt if any exist.. beyond mastercam and others..
    theres a website to creating active 5 axis motion from free resources.. however that using an autodesk program to getting tool angles..

http://www.cnc-toolkit.com/

the simulation is way over on this..

handlewanker, it is the new world order.. you dont need education, only google and finding a free program..
    doesnt matter engineers programmers mathematicians working on issues.. all you need is goole..

all the parts of the CNC is almost ready ballscrews, guide rails, controller and motors except for the chassis thats the last part remaining and i need to perfect it .. thats one of the reasons i need that simulator

and yes "kevincnc" english is my second language