2,727 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: help please

Hybrid View

help please

hello

i need little help.

i finished my mashine and and connected everything ( computer with controller, steppers etc).
    im movin mashine and it looks ok.
    but when im traying to make somthing and turn the spindle on my computer go off.
    i have universal motor with home made triac controll system.
    my doubts ar on EMI or voltage drop generated by 2kW motor

anyone have some ideas how to identify problem?

Some things to try;
    1) Try the spindle motor connected to the electrical outlet without your homemade triac controller and no computer running.
    2) Try your homemade triac controller and spindle without a computer running.
    3) If step #2 works then add the computer running without controlling the spindle motor.
    4) This is where you are with the system not working.

In other words, you need to do one thing at a time and when that item works add another item. If that works then add another item until the system quits again.

thanks.
    done all that. spindle is working without computer fine.
    and motor is working without triac controller.
    i think my computer gose off when motor draw high amount off current and generate voltage drop in line.
    i think i will need UPS for computer.
    but i dont know how will than interfire with stepper drivers

We have to make one assumption at a time and test it somehow. If that assumption was wrong we make another and test, etc.

1) Assume it is the AC power going too low when the spindle turns on.
    TEST: Have the computer and cnc running without the spindle. If cnc runs fine plug in the spindle with no triac control and turn ON the spindle at full power. Does the cnc and computer turn OFF?
    If YES, your assumption appears correct and you know what the problem is.
    If NO, then your assumption is false and it is not a power drop issue.

If this assumption was true, why does your fuse or circuit breaker not trip? Is it on a long extension cord that can't handle the current? (Which can be another assumption that needs testing)

2) Assume it is a defective triac controller.
    TEST: Have you checked the triac controller driving the spindle motor, without a computer, as a stand alone variable speed controller?
    If that works, can you repeat this test with the computer cnc running and vary the spindle speed manually?
    If that works then you are left with the computer-triac interface as a suspect.

3) Problem is EMI.
    This is more difficult to prove. You will need a test to determine if goes through the wiring or if it is through the air.
    I don't have one off hand. It seems less probable to me that this is your problem.

i forgot to mentione that i runned my mashine with spindle fine with my laptop.

I replaced laptop with desktop pc that will be used only for cnc in my garage.
    Laptop runs from ac adaptor and from battery so i didnt notice that problem.
    That is one more reason i believe that voltage drop is my main problem.