586,913 active members*
3,040 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Quiet air system

Hey everyone,

I currently have a little Zen Toolworks CNC (with Dremel 4000) and cut mostly plastic/mdf. I usually use a vacuum, but I run this thing in the basement of my duplex and it is extremely loud (the vacuum is). So I am trying to find a good way to add some sort of quiet air system to get the chips out. (I can vacuum them up later)

A full blown air compressor is pretty loud, and a little more costly than I would like to spend. (Budget ~$50)

Any thoughts? I realize there is no "perfect solution" but if there is one, this is probably the place to ask!

Find an old obsolete computer and take out the power supply and fan. Look up the wiring diagram for the power supply (Google model #) and short out the wires that run to the start switch. This will enable power to any of the wires by only using the switch on the back of the power supply. Connect the fan to the power supply as it would be in normal operation in the computer. Create a duct from the fan outlet with continuously decreasing area until the air outlet will be only the size of a small plastic tube. It's not the best, but better than nothing and certainly less than your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by BRobbins View Post
    Find an old obsolete computer and take out the power supply and fan. Look up the wiring diagram for the power supply (Google model #) and short out the wires that run to the start switch. This will enable power to any of the wires by only using the switch on the back of the power supply. Connect the fan to the power supply as it would be in normal operation in the computer. Create a duct from the fan outlet with continuously decreasing area until the air outlet will be only the size of a small plastic tube. It's not the best, but better than nothing and certainly less than your budget.

Brilliant. How does one "short out the wires"? Brilliant post, useful in more ways than one.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffygoober View Post
    Brilliant. How does one "short out the wires"? Brilliant post, useful in more ways than one.
    Google wiring for your controller. On the main connector coming out of the supply, there will be an "On" pin (usually the green wire) and several grounds (usually black wire). Take a piece of paper clip or small wire, bend and insert one end in the pin where the green wire is and one where a black wire is. If you are just using this for a computer fan, plug the fan in the appropriate connector. For other DC voltage outputs, see the wiring diagram. I've used these for several projects where I need DC power at different voltage.

Thanks for the tips!

Remove the compressor from an old refrigerator. They will supply decent air pressure, very quietly. You should be able to find an abandoned refrigerator, usually the compressor is still fine just lost the freon. Since it isn't a closed system anymore a small amount of lubrication will have to be added to the intake line occasionally.
    A lazy man does it twice.

Quote Originally Posted by BRobbins View Post
    Google wiring for your controller. On the main connector coming out of the supply, there will be an "On" pin (usually the green wire) and several grounds (usually black wire). Take a piece of paper clip or small wire, bend and insert one end in the pin where the green wire is and one where a black wire is. If you are just using this for a computer fan, plug the fan in the appropriate connector. For other DC voltage outputs, see the wiring diagram. I've used these for several projects where I need DC power at different voltage.
    thanks very much for that Good to know. You are right, there are dozens of applications that this opens the doors for.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Remove the compressor from an old refrigerator. They will supply decent air pressure, very quietly. You should be able to find an abandoned refrigerator, usually the compressor is still fine just lost the freon. Since it isn't a closed system anymore a small amount of lubrication will have to be added to the intake line occasionally.
    That's what came to my mind as well

My Beam central vacuum has an exhaust, its PVC pipe with foam inside, could you make something like that for the exhaust sound? Can you put your vacuum inside of a box with foam or fiberglass insulation aswell?

I thought about a silencer...my vacuum is a Shark car vacuum so it would be really difficult to attach something.

However, along the lines of a computer fan, check this guy out https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11270

Im wondering if I attach a bit of hose with a little 1/4" nozzle, if it will work? Really high airflow, seems like the motor is big enough to supply alittle bit of pressure - and at only $6 it appears to be a good deal. at 12v its a tad noisy, but less than a typically shop vac. And I can vacuum later, I just dont want run a vacuum for hours on end.

Did you see Hoss' thread where I asked him to print a fan blade with his 3D printer that would attach to a tool or tool holder?
    Mill Fan Testing - YouTube