586,655 active members*
2,901 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mori ZL-15SM spindle rebuild

Hey Mori Gurus, (Al the Man, Underthetire, and others,)

Our beloved Mori ZL-15SM ('86 vintage) has developed significant axial play in the main spindle.

I've rebuilt a spindle-or-20 (but no Mori's) so I disassembled and removed the
    spindle. Nothing unusual except that the spacer that preloads the front bearing set (angular contact pair and a front tapered roller bearing) is the type that is hydraulically removed and held in place. I asked a Mori guy I know for his recommendations on removing the collar. He emphatically advised me not to attempt this repair in our shop. (Forget concerns about a Class-10 clean-room environment....) Apparently it's not enough to simply replace this collar once the front bearing is fitted. He says that a special fixture is required to maintain pressure on the front bearings while the collar is hydraulically expanded and replaced.

Is this true? If so, what spindle rebuilder do any of you guys recommend that
    has experience with this type Mori spindle ?

I imagine that Mori can provide a rebuilt spindle with a core credit for ours.
    But I can also imagine that Mori's cost will surely be akin to a violent sexual assault, as with all their parts costs. Call me a Ned Beatty-hater
    (re: "Deliverance"...) but I'm just not up for that.:boxing:

Please advise.

emexcee380

Errr sorta true. You do need the hydraulic nut pump, however IDK about a special fixture, at least nothing special I remember.

Don't buy a new spindle, totally not worth it.
    Send it here
    C&M Precision Spindle - New Rebuild Manufacture - Bearings Ballscrew Support - Taper Grind - Dynamic Blancing

Damn, these guys should be kicking down some coin, 3rd person in a week i referred to them!

Tell me who it is that sent me and I'll mention your name. That commission check should be in the mail soon.

Many thanks,:cheers:

emexcee380