586,898 active members*
3,773 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DB25 Male/Male cable

Anyone have any experience with this cable from belkin?

Belkin Pro Series 25-Foot DB25 Male/Male Printer Cable at TigerDirect.com

Hard to beat that price for a 25foot cable.

Specs:

For Pure Clean Error-Free Transmissions
    You just purchased a new switchbox, but faulty wiring is causing your switchbox to send error filled data to your printer. With this Belkin Pro Series switchbox cable all data transmissions will be pure, clean and error-free. The Pro Series 25-Conductor, Straight-through Cable Assembly is most commonly used in applications with manual and automatic switchboxes. Featuring our exclusive wiring design and cable technology that guarantees optimal performance.

Features
    •State-of-the-art wiring design ensures 100% compatibility with all devices 100% of the time.

•Gold plated copper contacts provide maximum conductivity and keep data loss to a minimum.

•Oversized ergonomic thumbscrews make installation a breeze.

•Flextec™ PVC rubberized cable jacket is extremely flexible for use in tight areas.

•Molded strain relief and PVC overmolding to ensure a lifetime of error-free data transmission.

•Low capacitance impedance matched 28 AWG stranded tinned copper conductors are individually insulated in polypropylene to minimize cross talk, ensuring high-speed, error-free transmission.

•Ground indents provide excellent conductivity and retention with mating conductors.

•PVC premold encapsulates individual conductors to ensure electrical isolation and relieve stress.

•Aluminum undermold shielding helps to meet FCC requirements on EMI/RFI interference.

•Double shielded braid to ensure compliance with FCC requirements and reducing EMI/RFI.

•28 AWG stranded tinned copper PVC insulated conductors for excellent signal transmission.

Why do you want a 25 foot parallel cable?

My parallel cable is 3 feet long. Cables to the motors need to be long but the cable from the computer to the control box is usually pretty short because they are usually placed close to each other.

I'm no expert, but I sure would go for the shortest cable that would for my set-up.

Just my $.02

Rick

And that’s the issue I have, the enclosure will be wall mounted. My computer will be somewhat close. The goal is to walk 360 around the cnc without any cables in the way so up and over is the way I’m going.

I can always shorten the cable if needed.

With 5v signals the opportunity for noise pickup and erratic operation exists if the cable is over 3m.
    Keep it as short as possible, certainly less than 25'
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

I got about four of those from an UK Ebay seller not long ago to have in stock, but the 3m (10ft) version and so far they seem pretty good and have worked fine. Of course, shorter should be better if you don't need such length; however, I wonder how different would the Belkin long cables be as compared to shorter, not IEEE compliant generic cables.

It's also possible to use a scanner cable as a temporary extension for shorter M-M cables.
    http://www.build.cl

The problem with the length is that interference that is magnetically induced in the cable, is proportional to length, more or less.
    With 5v signals, with only a 2v noise margin, it can easily exceed the noise margin, which is why, for longer cabling differential pairs are used to cancel any interference.
    If the cable is fully enclosed in a steel pipe, you might get away with it, as long as no currents flow through the shield from the PC.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by neilw20 View Post
    The problem with the length is that interference that is magnetically induced in the cable, is proportional to length, more or less.
    With 5v signals, with only a 2v noise margin, it can easily exceed the noise margin, which is why, for longer cabling differential pairs are used to cancel any interference.
    If the cable is fully enclosed in a steel pipe, you might get away with it, as long as no currents flow through the shield from the PC.

Thank you for the information.

What anomalies should I be looking for in regards to noise?

Those cables are already shielded, would adding more help? I have a 100ft roll of copper shielding, guess I can cut the end off and feed it over it.

I'm running basically the same cable, I just put it in a tight 4" circle, wrap after wrap then ziptied it, so far so good.

OK. You just made a 4" diameter transformer. A nice antenna.
    Shielding will stop electrostatic interference, but magnetic stuff can only be cancelled. Not shielded, unless you hide it all in a steel pipe.

Hmm... Looks like I'm getting quoted now.

If you have a fair excess of cable coiled up, wind the first half in one direction, the other half in the other for cancellation!.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

My antenna has never failed me yet.

Can anyone point to a reliable short DB25 male to male cable? Perhaps on dealextreme or similar. Most places don't give any idea if cables have all pins 1:1.
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    Can anyone point to a reliable short DB25 male to male cable? Perhaps on dealextreme or similar. Most places don't give any idea if cables have all pins 1:1.
    I bought my 3 foot cable from Soigeneris dot com. Just checked his web site. He sells them for $7.25.

Just to report back.

That 25foot belkin cable is straight through and all pins are populated. Worked perfectly, first time!

This is replacing a ”cables to go” version that I must have ordered wrong. The c2g cable was half the thickness and only had 4 pairs + ground when I cut into. That explains why I was fighting it for hours trying to get 4-axsis with slave working.

Good deal

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.