586,510 active members*
2,733 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Identify this '70s/'80s hobby lathe please -what did I buy?

Identify this '70s/'80s hobby lathe please -what did I buy?

Does anyone recognise the maker of this lathe I just bought?

It looks a little like a Emco Unimat but the headstock does not. It is about 700mm long and has about 200mm between centres. The cross slide hand-wheel seems a later addition and its bed looks like a piece of RSJ. It seems to have quite a few grease nipples also. All its dimensions seem to be in metric. There is no sign of a maker's plate having ever been afixed.

Thanks for any leads!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails above.jpg   crossslide.jpg   head.jpg   Tail.jpg  

That thing is hysterical! I LOVE it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fizzissist View Post
    That thing is hysterical! I LOVE it!!!
    Ha, thanks!

I find it beguiling -one moment I think it looks home made and the next I think it is cleverly engineered and well manufactured.

I just saw that the two way switch is made by Telemecanique; a pretty high spec switch -odd.

Very much looks homemade.

Obviously some thought was put into the lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by cpcp View Post
    Ha, thanks!

I find it beguiling -one moment I think it looks home made and the next I think it is cleverly engineered and well manufactured.

I just saw that the two way switch is made by Telemecanique; a pretty high spec switch -odd.

Home brew

I'm guessing it is a home brew - but possibly built using commercial facilities.
    Why?
    Because every bit of it is fabricated: welded up out of stock material. There are no castings as far as I can see. A commercial production would have castings. The fab looks as though some decent machinery was used to make it, and the welder was fairly competent.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    I'm guessing it is a home brew - but possibly built using commercial facilities.
    Yes, I'm leaning that way too now.

The photo of a couple of parts shows some cross-slide detail (very neat indeed.) The tail-stock, which due to a compound curve on it's top, I thought was a casting now perhaps reveals more. The occasional slight pitting under the paint probably indicates a welded/ground construction with perhaps some auto body filler for cosmetic sake before the 'hammered-silver' paint coating was professionally applied.

I'm guessing too that the guy who built this had a tool-making/engineering background as apart from the design he had access to some nice precision equipment to get the tight tolerances I have measured.

Thanks for all the help guys!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails parted.jpg  

Addendum

As a reflection:

I'm guessing that the man who made this has 'passed on' or at least is not capable of working it.

It's refreshing to me to think that if you are a wealthy New York banker your legacy lasts a millisecond after you hit the 'down' button on the lift/elevator but a well made tool just keeps giving -perhaps even for a century or more...

woodworking copy lathe i think it is .very ingenious the two carriers inside in first photo i think they are made for copying ,maybe

Doubtful

woodworking copy lathe i think it is .very ingenious the two carriers inside in first photo i think they are made for copying ,maybe
    I think those two 'carriers' are actually the support for the drive motor.
    The leadscrews don't look like a copier to me. My 2c.

Cheers

correct

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    I think those two 'carriers' are actually the support for the drive motor.
    The leadscrews don't look like a copier to me. My 2c.

Cheers
    seems you are right ,Look,different size of belts(are they ?) can be connected to there, definitely support for motor.but i don't know if it can use different belts ,for what ?changing the speed ?

belts

i don't know if it can use different belts ,for what ?changing the speed ?
    Yep, speed change by pulley change was quite common on older small British lathes. And this one has several pulleys. I suspect the motor may have also had theree pulleys of different sizes.

Cheers