586,379 active members*
3,458 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Phase Converters > Sizing of a Inverter Drive?

Sizing of a Inverter Drive?

I have a Routermaster 52 that came with a 5.5 HP Perske Spindle and an EMS Variable Speed drive (MODEL G3U-23P7, S/N 952004537, Model: C1MR-GJU23P7, SPEC: 23P71E)

My understanding is that the drive requires 3-phase input. My shop only has a 40 amp supply with 230 volts.

What do I need to do?

- I am assuming that I cannot use the EMS drive.
    - I see 5kw inverter drives that convert 1-phase to 3-phase on eBay, but I'm not confident that it would work (I just don't know enough about the subject)

Any input would be appreciated!

Thank you!

getrolfed

You can use your 230V single Phase power, just wire the VFD using L1 & L2 plus Ground for the input power, this is for the EMS VFD, the power output will be lower than if it was run on 230V 3 Phase
    Mactec54

Many drives can be fed with 1 phase, but I believe over 3hp the drive size needs to double to compensate for the 1phase power loss, if you want to run it at max FLA. 5hp motor use a minimum of 7.5hp drive, 10hp better.

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    getrolfed

You can use your 230V single Phase power, just wire the VFD using L1 & L2 plus Ground for the input power, this is for the EMS VFD, the power output will be lower than if it was run on 230V 3 Phase
    Do NOT connect the ground to one of the input terminals!!!

I doubt that's what mactec meant, but the way it was worded could be interpreted that way.

Yes, all of the EMS (Yaskawa) drives can all be connected to single phase, but must be derated by 50%. Unfortunately that is a 5HP drive and you have a 5.5HP motor. You can use it as long as you never allow it to exceed about 3HP output, but that is going to be difficult to do. If your "fool" the drive by telling it the motor is 3HP, including programming the FLA of a 3HP motor, that will help protect the VFD but might nuisance trip on you. I would hook it up and run it while waiting for a correct sized drive.

It all depends on what is the nature of the input to the EMS drive, if this is just a common 3 phase bridge, the it should not matter which 240v 1 phase pair goes to which pair of input terminals, incidentally, in N.A. with the grounded neutral, although not desirable, connecting either the ground or neutral to the other terminal will have no effect due to the reverse bias of the that rectifier.
    But there are some VFD's that have one particular input pair that source the low voltage control separately, in this case it is important to use the correct pair for the 240v in.
    Mitsubishi VFD's is one instance of this.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al_The_Man

That is correct, this is another one of those drives that L1 & L2 are the input power Terminals for Single phase connection

JRaef
    If someone was to put the Ground anyplace But were the drives are marked for a Ground wire then they should not be messing with 240V to start with
    It also will not trip with his spindle motor if set up correct
    Mactec54