586,354 active members*
3,286 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Random alarm... any Ideas?!?!

Cool Random alarm... any Ideas?!?!

Hi all,

I was running a long program on our Haas VF3 last night, when I came in this morning there was an alarm code showing the following:

(bottom right in red) "Invalid Code"

This had happened imediately following a tool change, when I pressed the 'alarm msg' button it displayed a "RS - 232" code (which I think is something to do with the storage of error data?!) and after that " load was bad "

Have never had this msg before, and after resetting then restarting the program from the 'problem' tool change the machine ran fine untill the next tool change when I got the same alarm out and error msg but this time BEFORE the tool change.

The tool before the first stoppage would have been running for a fair while so we were'nt sure if everything had just got a bit hot in the spindle although coolant was fine and it was only spinning at about 3000rpm.
    However, the second tool before the second alarm was only running for just over an hour?!?!

As said above, it has only happened before or after a tool change, also I am only running at 25% rapid as this is/was an unproven program. I figured it would be better to stuff the spindle into tool steel at 1/4 speed rather than full speed... boss is kinda pushy!! ;-)

So the only thing we can think of is the spindle is struggling to let go of the tools?!?!

Can anyone identify with this at all and suggest a solution please as we are running short of hair to pull out!!!

Thanks everyone!!
    Have good days

SteveOOO

Quote Originally Posted by SteveOOO View Post
    Hi all,

I was running a long program on our Haas VF3 last night, when I came in this morning there was an alarm code showing the following:

(bottom right in red) "Invalid Code"

This had happened imediately following a tool change, when I pressed the 'alarm msg' button it displayed a "RS - 232" code (which I think is something to do with the storage of error data?!) and after that " load was bad "

Have never had this msg before, and after resetting then restarting the program from the 'problem' tool change the machine ran fine untill the next tool change when I got the same alarm out and error msg but this time BEFORE the tool change.

The tool before the first stoppage would have been running for a fair while so we were'nt sure if everything had just got a bit hot in the spindle although coolant was fine and it was only spinning at about 3000rpm.
    However, the second tool before the second alarm was only running for just over an hour?!?!

As said above, it has only happened before or after a tool change, also I am only running at 25% rapid as this is/was an unproven program. I figured it would be better to stuff the spindle into tool steel at 1/4 speed rather than full speed... boss is kinda pushy!! ;-)

So the only thing we can think of is the spindle is struggling to let go of the tools?!?!

Can anyone identify with this at all and suggest a solution please as we are running short of hair to pull out!!!

Thanks everyone!!
    Have good days

SteveOOO
    If you had a problem with the tools realeasing from the spindle you would get an alarm indicating such.

Sounds to me like you have an issue with data transfer of your program through your RS232. Meaning code is to long, not buffering properly, or transmission of code getting corrupted, etc.

Ahaaaa, that would explain the random and complicated looking jargon at the end of the alarm msg and the reason it restarted after a reset!!

Looks like I have a long night ahead of me then!!!

Thanks very much
    Regards
    SteveOOO

It is called tapper lock! but if it is taper lock the machine will alarm out when doing the tool change and you will see the tool changer right next to the spindle or the tool arm, I am not really sure this is your problem cause a "Invalid Code" is your program not the machine. Check over your program on every line after a tool change and make sure there is noting odd in it. If you think it is tapper lock check the inside of the spindle tapper and clean, add grease the the pull stod and ad wd40 to the tapper, this will help with the tool coming out, in long run times you will see this happen. If the mahcine ever alarms out if will give you a number for the problem so from what i can under stand it is your program.

Aye we've had tapper lock before and it wasn't that and your right in saying it's more likely the code in the program than anything else!

The only confusing thing there is that when I reset it let me start from exactly the same place!!

Tis a good head scratcher, although we haven't had it since so Im not too bothered at the minute, we've plenty of other things to be worried about!!

Cheers for the input matey!!

SteveOOO

Its good you dont have it anymore but if you ever start to get odd alarms coming out it is just about always the 860 cables

After I have loaded a new program into the control, I run it in graphics first.
    Any coding errors that might cause an alarm will show up there.

I had this code error after my macro option time expired.

cheers tc26, thats a good idea! Im aware of that technique but I tend to forget to do helpful things like that!!

and underthetire, is that something to do with 'licence' on the machine?!!!

Yes it was. Didn't realize at the time HAAS charges extra for macro (stupid IMO), but comes with a set amount of time you can try before you buy.

aye they're robbing little monkeys aren't they!!

Think they'd charge for the air you breathe whilst using their machines if they could get away with it!!

Well, yes and no. I gota admit, if you can live with a base model machine without options, not a bad way to go. Once you start stacking options on to make them more like a higher end machine, not that much price difference to go ahead and buy the higher end machine.