586,655 active members*
2,398 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Is my G540 working correctly

Is my G540 working correctly

Hi,

I am a newbie to the CNC world and am just getting my first machine to the point of running. Just wondering if anyone can tell me if the following is normal before I continue.

I have a G540 controller kit I purchased from Homann Designs about 2 years ago now when I first started on my project of building a cnc router so not sure what version of controller it is.

I have now got the table finished to the point of setting up the motors and control.

I have built up the controller box using the components and diagram obtained from Homann Design and I get a red fault light on the G540 unit with the charge pump switched to the off position and no cables (parallel or motor) plugged in.

I have used a DMM and check that the voltage is being supplied ( I am getting 48.2v at the G540 ports 11/12)

The Estop switch is functioning correctly, the enable switch is functioning to link ports 10/12.

Acording to the Geckodrive data sheets I should be getting a green LED on the G540 not a red fault LED.

Is the G540 working correctly with nothing connected or should I be getting a green LED? Didn't want to go any further plugging things in unless I am sure all is OK to this point.

Thanks in advance for any help
    Peter

No it wasn't working correctly.

After going over everything again and removing everything from the board except for power supply and a direct bridge between port 10 and 12 I finally figured out I had a loose spade terminal on the enable switch.

Remade a new spade terminal and hey presto I get a green light.
    Now on to the next step of hooking up motors and to the PC.

Peter

At least you found it! In CNC it probably won't be the last time either!

cheers,
    Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Re: Is my G540 working correctly

I have a couple bad driver boards in my G540. Can you explain where these components are located?

Quote Originally Posted by the_great_snag View Post
    I have a couple bad driver boards in my G540. Can you explain where these components are located?
    Inside the G540 case.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

I know that much. I took my G540 apart yesterday and found the BoB to be fully functional but two of the G250x driver boards were unresponsive even though one had the LED lit up.

No matter now anyway, as it's on its way Priority Mail to Gecko.