586,655 active members*
2,353 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > Carving 3D Ornaments and Flourishes

Carving 3D Ornaments and Flourishes

Hi guys, I'd like to create something similar if not the same as the art work on VectorArt 3D. I know they sell the art but $299 is a lot for something that I could learn to do myself and tweak to make them custom and unique. Coupled with the satisfaction of I did that!

What software would anyone recommend, am I being a bit ambitious having no 3D modelling experience? If anyone could point me in the right direction of tutorials and such I'd be grateful. I've googled quite a lot but only found premade designs.

Many Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJHolmes View Post
    Hi guys, I'd like to create something similar if not the same as the art work on VectorArt 3D. I know they sell the art but $299 is a lot for something that I could learn to do myself and tweak to make them custom and unique. Coupled with the satisfaction of I did that!

What software would anyone recommend, am I being a bit ambitious having no 3D modelling experience? If anyone could point me in the right direction of tutorials and such I'd be grateful. I've googled quite a lot but only found premade designs.

Many Thanks
    HWat you are looking at are called "relief" models, or "embossing". Bitmap programs like corel or adobe will do it to a picture, but there is software that will make a "model" out of it like that. The models are usually STL data. That website you speak of links to various software that does that type of stuff. They left out BobCad which does this too, along with the toolpath part.

It takes practice and understanding to do it well. Thats why people can sell theirs at that site. Those are done well. The whole trick is setting up the bitmap, whether greyscale or whatnot, to produce a good model.

Prices will range from free, to a couple hundred bucks, to several thousand.

There are other methods too, if you are an artist. That is to start looking at modeling packages that use "voxels". It's more like working with "clay" and sculpting. Pixologic has a free starter to look at that will produce sculpted odels called "sculptris"...http://www.pixologic.com/sculptris/

I don't believe that any of the models at VectorArt3D were created with bitmaps. I think that most now are done with Aspire, using it's 3D modeling and sculpting tools, or with a subdivision surface modeler like Silo.

Reliefs from bitmaps typically don't have the depth or detail, unless the bitmap was rendered as a depth map from an actual 3D model.
    Creating 3D reliefs is not an easy process, and requires considerable skill, which typiclly comes from a LOT of practice. As he said, that's why they sell them, as not everyone is capable of creating their own.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Cheers for the replies guys. I guess I'll have to have a go on the free trials and see how it goes. I knew it would be hard work but I don't mind the practice